A question re: BIAB and wort storage

FedoraDave

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps that's two questions. But here's what I'm contemplating, and I'd appreciate any input.

I prefer BIAB, because I've had just one too many stuck sparges and problems with false bottoms and manifolds. So I just put the bag in the mash tun and forego any sparges.

But I've dedicated 2019 to exploring Belgian styles. I've already made a pretty nice Trappist Ale, and while I'll experiment more with the variations of the smaller Belgians, I also want to get my feet wet with Dubbels and Tripels.

So here's my question. I figure I could not only save time and money, but also kind of make a Trappist a little more authentic by using later runnings from a larger Belgian. But I don't sparge with BIAB, so I was wondering if it's worth drawing off the runnings from the initial mash for a Dubbel, then essentially doing a sparge in the bag for 15 minutes or so, collecting that, and using it for a Trappist. With different hops and different yeast, the end result would be a different beer, instead of "Dubbel Lite."

So ... is that an option?

Also, I wouldn't be brewing both beers on the same day, so what would be a good way to store the wort from the sparge for, maybe a week?

Last edited:
I'd be commited to just brewing both batches on the same day that way less likely one will become infected sitting around waiting to be brewed. You could no chill the second batch that way you only need to boil the wort then package in a cube.

For the storage the internets has a bunch of information on the no-chill method. For most people doing that they'll have a food grade plastic container (often called a cube). They'll transfer the wort as hot as possible into the santised container, push out any air and then let it chill overnight. Though some will keep the wort for much longer.

You need to adjust things if you're doing a late hop in the boil (longer isomerisation in the cube). It's safe, though there's a theoretical chance of botulism spores making it through that process, but if you pitch yeast the next day that won't matter. You may notice a difference in hoppier styles, but probably not in Belgians. And that's just a difference, not that it's better or worse.

There's actually a small home brew industry down here based around selling people fresh wort kits. You pick up 20 litres of wort, yeast and dry hops from the LHBS. Go home and continue the brewing process having had someone else do all the mashing for you.

You can get those kits here too.

Perhaps that's two questions. But here's what I'm contemplating, and I'd appreciate any input.

I prefer BIAB, because I've had just one too many stuck sparges and problems with false bottoms and manifolds. So I just put the bag in the mash tun and forego any sparges.

But I've dedicated 2019 to exploring Belgian styles. I've already made a pretty nice Trappist Ale, and while I'll experiment more with the variations of the smaller Belgians, I also want to get my feet wet with Dubbels and Tripels.

So here's my question. I figure I could not only save time and money, but also kind of make a Trappist a little more authentic by using later runnings from a larger Belgian. But I don't sparge with BIAB, so I was wondering if it's worth drawing off the runnings from the initial mash for a Dubbel, then essentially doing a sparge in the bag for 15 minutes or so, collecting that, and using it for a Trappist. With different hops and different yeast, the end result would be a different beer, instead of "Dubbel Lite."

So ... is that an option?

Also, I wouldn't be brewing both beers on the same day, so what would be a good way to store the wort from the sparge for, maybe a week?

the run off beer will be weak with less alcohol but you can bump it up with extra sugar which the Belgians love to do anyway, so I think it will work but you need to fine tune your sparge, it's very important in the sugar for your second running's, I use mine for yeast starters

Back