Add Custom Fermentables is broken!

ACBEV

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the following...

#1... When I enter a brand in the "Select or Enter a Brand" dialog, it doesn't save the brand I've entered (typed). i.e. When I come back to edit the recipe the "Select or Enter a Brand" dialog is blank. It may work if an existing brand is selected, but that is of little use.

#2... In the "Select or Enter Fermentable" dialog it tries to pre-select an existing fermentable and ignores what I've typed i.e. If I type "Pale Ale Malt" it will select "Pale Ale Malt (2 SRM)" from the list, without me choosing (Clicking It).It will let me select what I've typed if I type something random, like Monsoon or Belly Button.

#3... Both the above dialogs are not properly editable. i.e. If I try to edit a spelling error, it tries to sneak in a predefined brand or fermentable from the dialog list.

#4... Last but not least, the "Late Addition" check box... If I've had a fermentable as a late addition, but change my mind and un-check it. When saved it will still be checked, when I return to the recipe.

#5... All the lovibond values have changed without me editing them! When I returned to edit. I give up!

:confused:

Also, can't edit a recipe that has custom fermentables. So, I'm brewing with substitute hops and can't update the recipe.

Also, can't edit a recipe that has custom fermentables. So, I'm brewing with substitute hops and can't update the recipe.

We are fixing this as soon as we can and I'll keep you posted on the status of the fix. I'm so sorry for your troubles with this.

Thank you all for reporting the issues- it's important to know what's not working so we can fix it. Again, I apologize for the problems with custom fermentables and the recipe editing. We're working hard to fix this right away.

@Yooper Maybe ignore #5 below, my error, I change my colour method from SRM to EBC, which confused me and might have caused the hiccup with the editor.

#5... All the lovibond values have changed without me editing them! When I returned to edit. I give up!

My blood was boiling, but a cool beer made me feel better.

Just to be clear, in addition to the above, I cannot enter a "my inventory" fermentable into a new recipe either. Hope you can fix soon, I want to brew tomorrow! :)

Just to be clear, in addition to the above, I cannot enter a "my inventory" fermentable into a new recipe either. Hope you can fix soon, I want to brew tomorrow! :)

We are working on this right now! I'll keep you posted on what's going on.

@Yooper Maybe ignore #5 below, my error, I change my colour method from SRM to EBC, which confused me and might have caused the hiccup with the editor.

My blood was boiling, but a cool beer made me feel better.

I'm really sorry for the issues, and I promise this was an unexpected problem when we put out the updates last night. We did beta test, but there were no issues with that or we wouldn't have released it. I don't blame you a bit for being angry and upset with us. And we are working feverishly to fix it, I promise!

You guys work feverishly all the time.

I'm getting the following...

#1... When I enter a brand in the "Select or Enter a Brand" dialog, it doesn't save the brand I've entered (typed). i.e. When I come back to edit the recipe the "Select or Enter a Brand" dialog is blank. It may work if an existing brand is selected, but that is of little use.

#2... In the "Select or Enter Fermentable" dialog it tries to pre-select an existing fermentable and ignores what I've typed i.e. If I type "Pale Ale Malt" it will select "Pale Ale Malt (2 SRM)" from the list, without me choosing (Clicking It).It will let me select what I've typed if I type something random, like Monsoon or Belly Button.

#3... Both the above dialogs are not properly editable. i.e. If I try to edit a spelling error, it tries to sneak in a predefined brand or fermentable from the dialog list.

#4... Last but not least, the "Late Addition" check box... If I've had a fermentable as a late addition, but change my mind and un-check it. When saved it will still be checked, when I return to the recipe.

Thanks ACBEV for the feedback, the brand issue is resolved on custom fermentables. The existing ingredients are not "editable". You can add new ones using the Add to Catalog option. Otherwise you will need to type a new name for it to save. I have added an option to not force a selection and hoping this will help. I'm still looking at the last issue not saving the late addition, I haven't been able to reproduce this.

@avantassel

The changes you made are great, custom fermentables dialog works fine now (until you save the recipe!.

You must have a check in the recipe saving code for missing stuff from custom fermentables...

I'm getting the message "Error: Name of custom fermentable must be specified when amount is provided", but I have filled the form fully with my own name.

This is fixed now- please let me know if you have any further issues. Thank you so much.

This is fixed now- please let me know if you have any further issues. Thank you so much.
Hi, seems adding custom fermentablas works finally! Thx. But there are still some issues:

1. Sorting not work properly in case there are custom fermentables in the list:
a) If you have a mix of predefined and custom fermentables, after clicking on a sort button only custom fermentables are sorted and predefined fermentables stays on top unsorted.
b) each click on sort button adds strangely ECB points to all custom fermentables.
2. You can't delete the first non-custom fermentables slot. It means if you use only custom fermentables, this slot is always there and empty at the top. Would be fine if we could delete all the slots or if you select your first custom fermentable this slot is replaced with custom one.
3. EBC of fermentable in drop down is not rounded properly, it shows value like "Belgian - Pilsner (2.7724992 EBC)". Should be rounder to 2 decimals.
4. Just a question, what is the meaning of "Invenory filter" button ? Seems it does nothing.

Update:
5. EBC not recalculated in cusom fermentables. It display Lovibonds, even though the label tells EBC.

Update2:
6. Custom fermentable ORIGIN does not work properly. I have a Finland malt configured in my list, and in receipt read mode it shows "Viking - American - Caramel 30". It should display "Viking - Finland - Caramel 30".

Could you please have a look and fix these issues ? Thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the detailed list of the issues. I added this to the ticket, and we will fix these issues ASAP.

Thank you so much for the detailed list of the issues. I added this to the ticket, and we will fix these issues ASAP.
I can confirm what Mimeczi said. I've tried that and something has been fixed already and something not... Anyway thanks for fixes... It's getting better and better.

What I've noticed:

1. Switching from SRM Morey (Lovibond) to EBC Morey works fine now but only for existing fermentables in the list - EBC is recalculated properly, but the rounding is broken, it shows EBC like 5.4410612 after conversion. Please round to 2 decimals.
2. Problem is if I add new custom fermentable while I'm still switched to EBC, it shows EBC as Lovibonds.
3. Sorting works fine now but predefined fermentables are always at the top. I can live with that but for me it does not matter if it's predefined or custom fermentable so it should be sorted only by ammount and not by type and ammount. Also if I click "Add" button it shows the box for new fermentable above all custom fermentables and at the end of predefined ones. I would expect a box for new fermentable after clicking add button is always at the bottom no matter what type of fermentable this is. Maybe this could be an optional checkbox is setting. Some users can prefer the way to have them sorted by type maybe.
4. Fermentable origin still not fixed.

thx

Back