How to add Coconut into the beer?

xayz110

Trial Member
Reaction score
I want to brew Coconut IPA,the three most common forms of coconut I`ve probably seen around that are good for adding flavor to your beer are chips, extract and milk,soi want to know how to use them.Thanks!

I want to brew Coconut IPA,the three most common forms of coconut I`ve probably seen around that are good for adding flavor to your beer are chips, extract and milk,soi want to know how to use them.Thanks!
There’s a 4th form and that’s “shredded” coconut. Place the shredded coconut evenly on a cookie sheet and place in the oven at 300 (f) until golden toasted, then add them directly into the fermentor once primary fermentation is done.

There’s a 4th form and that’s “shredded” coconut. Place the shredded coconut evenly on a cookie sheet and place in the oven at 300 (f) until golden toasted, then add them directly into the fermentor once primary fermentation is done.
I've done that once, and I think the oils really destroyed head retention. If try patting it dry with some paper towels if I did it again
I'm using some extract in a batch I hope to bottle today. First time using extract too

But as far as I know that oil destroys head retention,and too much oil in a beer can make it go rancid quickly.I want to add them in secondary ,so I am confused about how to use coconut.:(

I've done that once, and I think the oils really destroyed head retention. If try patting it dry with some paper towels if I did it again
I'm using some extract in a batch I hope to bottle today. First time using extract too
yes,i think so.how to use them?Can you write in detail?thanks!:)

I've brewed a toasted coconut porter using shredded coconut. I didn't notice a significant reduction in head retention. Perhaps toasting the coconut drives off enough of the oils that they don't make much difference. I'm not sure how coconut would be in an IPA, though. Coconut adds a mild rounded sweetness that I think would be wasted against a lot of hops. Just my two cents.

But as far as I know that oil destroys head retention,and too much oil in a beer can make it go rancid quickly.I want to add them in secondary ,so I am confused about how to use coconut.:(
Use it like a dry hop. Put it in the beer, let it soak, rack the beer off when it tastes the way you want. You might consider bagging the coconut to make racking easier. As to the oils, not much to do about it when using natural coconut .

I've brewed a toasted coconut porter using shredded coconut. I didn't notice a significant reduction in head retention. Perhaps toasting the coconut drives off enough of the oils that they don't make much difference. I'm not sure how coconut would be in an IPA, though. Coconut adds a mild rounded sweetness that I think would be wasted against a lot of hops. Just my two cents.
Thanks,I'll try it

Use it like a dry hop. Put it in the beer, let it soak, rack the beer off when it tastes the way you want. You might consider bagging the coconut to make racking easier. As to the oils, not much to do about it when using natural coconut .
using roasted coconut or natural coconut?

The extract o use d75 ml or 5 tbsp for 2.5 gallons. We'll see how it tastes when it's carbed
thanks!If roasted coconut or natural coconut doesn't work, I will try this method.

Back