Hop utilization

Group W

Trial Member
Reaction score
Did something change recently on hop utilization or something related? If I open an existing recipe that was about 70 IBUs and hit “edit” without changing anything, the recipe now reflects just over 100 IBUs. Thanks.

Did something change recently on hop utilization or something related? If I open an existing recipe that was about 70 IBUs and hit “edit” without changing anything, the recipe now reflects just over 100 IBUs. Thanks.

Nothing has changed recently, but we did change some things a while ago with whirlpool hops and that utilization. could that be it? If you want to give a link to the recipe(s), I can take a look and see what's going on.

Well, I did a work-around by zeroing out the whirlpool hop utilization and fiddling with it until it reset to zero IBU contribution.

The recent changes impacted grain bill OG, acid additions to mash, and others. Every existing recipe will require work. The big question remains, what version to trust. It caused me to get aquatinted with BS3.

More importantly, it became clear to me (finally) that we are not paying for an on-line recipe tool, but rather for the development of a sales tool for brewing ingredients.

Well, I did a work-around by zeroing out the whirlpool hop utilization and fiddling with it until it reset to zero IBU contribution.

The recent changes impacted grain bill OG, acid additions to mash, and others. Every existing recipe will require work. The big question remains, what version to trust. It caused me to get aquatinted with BS3.

More importantly, it became clear to me (finally) that we are not paying for an on-line recipe tool, but rather for the development of a sales tool for brewing ingredients.

Well, the reason the whirlpool hops utilization changed was due to new findings and testings those showed that hops oils isomerize at under-boiling temperatures and for the sake of accuracy, we made those changes. I think it was about a year ago, though, but I'd have to double check. We still allow the brewers to change it based on their own systems and perceptions, but the default of 10% is considered to be correct.

It shouldn't impact your OG, acid additions, etc, and old recipes shouldn't be affected (except by the whirlpool additions but you can change that.

We really want this to be the best, most accurate software out there, and we have developers working constantly on brewing out new features and improvements.

If you're not happy with the upgrades, we want to hear it. If you could send an email to support@brewersfriend.com with your experiences and if you have screenshots of changing OGs, etc, we would really appreciate it. We want to fix anything that is broken, make the software more intuitive, and have the greatest accuracy we possibly can. We want the inventory and shopping lists to be easy to use, and the water calculator to be seamless. We bring out new features based on our customers' suggestions and requests usually- and so we want you to be pleased with it.

Well, the reason the whirlpool hops utilization changed was due to new findings and testings those showed that hops oils isomerize at under-boiling temperatures and for the sake of accuracy, we made those changes. I think it was about a year ago, though, but I'd have to double check. We still allow the brewers to change it based on their own systems and perceptions, but the default of 10% is considered to be correct.

It shouldn't impact your OG, acid additions, etc, and old recipes shouldn't be affected (except by the whirlpool additions but you can change that.

We really want this to be the best, most accurate software out there, and we have developers working constantly on brewing out new features and improvements.

If you're not happy with the upgrades, we want to hear it. If you could send an email to support@brewersfriend.com with your experiences and if you have screenshots of changing OGs, etc, we would really appreciate it. We want to fix anything that is broken, make the software more intuitive, and have the greatest accuracy we possibly can. We want the inventory and shopping lists to be easy to use, and the water calculator to be seamless. We bring out new features based on our customers' suggestions and requests usually- and so we want you to be pleased with it.
Thanks Yoper. I’m aware of the former changes to whirlpool additions for IBU contribution at lower temps. The issues I encountered happened with the addition of branding options for hops. It also now takes a bit of reentry to get utilization changes to take. No worries, I can fix.

Back