SMaSH with BIAB advice

Anth M

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey brewers,

I have about 40 gram of Warrior hops left over and wanted to do a smash recipe to learn more about malt and hop characteristics. I was thinking of going maris otter for the grain. Thoughts?

I brew small 15L batches with BIAB so 40gm hops, 3kg MO should be ok i hope? Any other tips welcome i.e. mash temp/time, boil time, hop times, yeast etc. Was gonna go 60 min mash at 67 C and boil for 60 mins.

Thanks!

Hey brewers,

I have about 40 gram of Warrior hops left over and wanted to do a smash recipe to learn more about malt and hop characteristics. I was thinking of going maris otter for the grain. Thoughts?

I brew small 15L batches with BIAB so 40gm hops, 3kg MO should be ok i hope? Any other tips welcome i.e. mash temp/time, boil time, hop times, yeast etc. Was gonna go 60 min mash at 67 C and boil for 60 mins.

Thanks!
MO is a fine choice for Malt I've herd and had nothing but great results from this malt. I guess if only Warrior ( I've never used it BTW) is add a small bittering addition maybe 10-15 IBu before boil A first wort addition ( add after mash out when finished mashing) then I'd go a flavour addition at 20min or later then hop stand at 0 min for 20 mins omthen a dryhop addition with rest of hops at end of fermentation for aroma. Yeast cleannyeast Wlp001, US 05 , WLP 090.
I'd aim for total IBUs 35-40 . Favour gypsum in your water.

Here ya go whatcha think?
Oh bare in mind I don't have a sparge set which is do. It's set to my profile so copy and adjust to suit your system profile;).
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/763392/smashedwithmo-

Last edited:
MO is a fine choice for Malt I've herd and had nothing but great results from this malt. I guess if only Warrior ( I've never used it BTW) is add a small bittering addition maybe 10-15 IBu before boil A first wort addition ( add after mash out when finished mashing) then I'd go a flavour addition at 20min or later then hop stand at 0 min for 20 mins omthen a dryhop addition with rest of hops at end of fermentation for aroma. Yeast cleannyeast Wlp001, US 05 , WLP 090.
I'd aim for total IBUs 35-40 . Favour gypsum in your water.

Here ya go whatcha think?
Oh bare in mind I don't have a sparge set which is do. It's set to my profile so copy and adjust to suit your system profile;).
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/763392/smashedwithmo-[/Q
Thanks mate that's an awesome guide for me! I'm doing no chill and pitch yeast next day so should I bump hop additions back 15 mins or so? Also I'm gonna have a crack at ditching my air lock and just put glad wrap over it and seal with black rubber ring from fermenter lid - any thoughts on that? Dudes at LHBS told me about it, one less thing to clean :)

Thanks

Thanks mate that's an awesome guide for me! I'm doing no chill and pitch yeast next day so should I bump hop additions back 15 mins or so? Also I'm gonna have a crack at ditching my air lock and just put glad wrap over it and seal with black rubber ring from fermenter lid - any thoughts on that? Dudes at LHBS told me about it, one less thing to clean :)

Thanks
Yes if try and keep the IBUs under 40. You could can ditch FWH and move it to 40 or 30 and move 15 min addition into your extended hop stand with whirlpool addition. As for glad wrap gig I've not done this myself but don't see no harm. As long as any floaties cant make it in.

Oh you can extend your chill time in recipie calculator to account for slow cool down past 80c in that style indicator (more ) box top right side of recipie page.
Screenshot_20190115-205301_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes if try and keep the IBUs under 40. You could can ditch FWH and move it to 40 or 30 and move 15 min addition into your extended hop stand with whirlpool addition. As for glad wrap gig I've not done this myself but don't see no harm. As long as any floaties cant make it in.

Oh you can extend your chill time in recipie calculator to account for slow cool down past 80c in that style indicator (more ) box top right side of recipie page.View attachment 4886
Thanks for your help mate. Brewing on the weekend and this has helped me a lot.

Cheers!

Back