All grain , why need a strainer type system on bottom of mash tun?

Reaction score
Im looking to start into all grain brewing, i see all these guys build or have some kind of homemade strainer on bottom of mash tun to strain out the wort and leave behind the grain, why not just use a large mesh bag to contain all the grains inside the tun?

Different methods can be used... I use a 12" stainless steel braided pipe (rubber inner removed) clamped to the inside mash tun ball valve connector, other end, plugged and clamped. A large bag can be used effectively too, the large BIAB (Brew in a bag) bags are ideal.

A lot of us do just that. A BIAB bag works great and if used properly can eliminate dead space and reduce grain absorption to that of BIAB. Here's my setup. Just a street elbow screwed into the inside of the bulkhead. Add a bag and you got a great mash tun.
MashTun.jpg

so why do people differentiate between "all grain" and "biab" they are the same thing essentially.

A lot of us do just that. A BIAB bag works great and if used properly can eliminate dead space and reduce grain absorption to that of BIAB. Here's my setup. Just a street elbow screwed into the inside of the bulkhead. Add a bag and you got a great mash tun.View attachment 4857

exactly, thats what i was thinking, you gonna have less waste

Although it is a form of all grain brewing, traditional BIAB incorporates a full volume mash done in the same vessel as the boil. Some brewers hold back part of the water to sparge with, but the mash & boil are still done in a single vessel rather than using a multi vessel system.

Using the bag in a different vessel is usually referred to as MIAB, or mash in a bag.

just feel like the false bottoms or strainer systems are just extra un needed equipment for all grain brewing at home, the bag does the same thing if not better. I plan on getting a mash tun and do everything to it except just use a bag instead of the other things, cheaper and still the same results. I doing a clone of a porter tonight or tmw and plan on putting my own touch to it, first all grain brew for me, still learning and will always be learning it seems, thank god for different brewing calculators.

Yep a brew bag is all you need I recon I've been using one for the last 50+ brews on my second now they last a long time and are versatile. I use mine to store diy roasted grains in. You can use as a hop sock you can mill straight into them then dunk that straight into the strike water.

Anyhow enjoy I hope you have success.

Making a mash tun with a false bottom is copying what pro brewers use. So it was the first design homebrewers used. Someone eventually came up with just using a bag. At a homebrew size it works, but commercial size batches would be very hard to do in a bag.

Im looking to start into all grain brewing, i see all these guys build or have some kind of homemade strainer on bottom of mash tun to strain out the wort and leave behind the grain, why not just use a large mesh bag to contain all the grains inside the tun?
That's called Brew in a Bag. Several people here mash that way.

well i ended up making a mash tun with a stainless steel braided hose with the internal vinyl removed to allow passage of the liquid, may still use a bag to prevent stuck sparge.

just feel like the false bottoms or strainer systems are just extra un needed equipment for all grain brewing at home, the bag does the same thing if not better. I plan on getting a mash tun and do everything to it except just use a bag instead of the other things, cheaper and still the same results. I doing a clone of a porter tonight or tmw and plan on putting my own touch to it, first all grain brew for me, still learning and will always be learning it seems, thank god for different brewing calculators.

The strainer is only because the bag can get sucked into the outlet and plug up in my rig. I had a bazooka tube kicking around so I put it to use.

Picture for reference.
FCpfCkv.jpg

I use both a large bag and a false bottom. The reason is I have a bottom draining MLT and the false bottom lifts the mash and the bag off of the bottom, so I can drain it without it clogging. I use both because I have a pump that will clog up with the false bottom only sometimes, and that's a huge pain.

There are many many ways to brew all grain, and they are all valid ways. Whatever works for the brewer is the "right" way!

Back