Never too old to brew

Ron Reyes (Papa Piggy)

Trial Member
Reaction score
With the help of “the complete joy of home brewing” I made my first home brews in the mid/late 80’s. I can’t say many of them were great. Some were barely drinkable. As my family doubled to 4 kids overnight I put the kettle away. 30 plus years later I recently started back up. I do mostly all grain 5 gallon batches. With a 10 gallon kettle and two 10 gallon coolers form my HLT and mash tun. I haven’t done any lagers yet but hope to this winter.

I’m mostly into Ales from blonde, pale, and brown. Love porters and stouts.

I love to listen to music while brewing. From punk rock to country to soul to classic rock.

Since starting back up last team I have done 12 batches. I’ve struggled with the software a bit but I’m finally getting the hang of it with some help from you guys.

Cheers

Attachments

• 27389C81-F78D-421B-A36E-19C1E034FF8F.jpeg
    27389C81-F78D-421B-A36E-19C1E034FF8F.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 181
It's nice to have you! I started brewing when I was about 38 or so I think. I had a badly broken leg from a hockey injury, and I was laid up for 18 months in a wheelchair. I was already making wine, so I knew the basics but wanted to try beer after using the "Beer Machine 2000" with not great results.

I'm still brewing, and now my grandsons "help" me often on brewdays. I love having the time to spend on a brewday and not feel rushed. When my own kids were younger, I tried to brew on Wednesdays (usually my day off), and be done by 3:00 pm so they wouldn't complain about the smell of the boiling wort. Now it's much more relaxed and laid back and I love it.

Welcome! I'm probably a youngster now at a mere 70 :) A few changes were needed to keep brewing, but where there's a will, there's a way. Look forward to hearing of any adaptations you find necessary.

It's nice to have you! I started brewing when I was about 38 or so I think. I had a badly broken leg from a hockey injury, and I was laid up for 18 months in a wheelchair. I was already making wine, so I knew the basics but wanted to try beer after using the "Beer Machine 2000" with not great results.

I'm still brewing, and now my grandsons "help" me often on brewdays. I love having the time to spend on a brewday and not feel rushed. When my own kids were younger, I tried to brew on Wednesdays (usually my day off), and be done by 3:00 pm so they wouldn't complain about the smell of the boiling wort. Now it's much more relaxed and laid back and I love it.

Hockey player eh, I knew you were cool. My wife talked me into it at 36 I think because she felt I needed a hobby.

Hockey player eh, I knew you were cool. My wife talked me into it at 36 I think because she felt I needed a hobby.

I love it. We go away in the winter now, so I don't play on a team anymore. But playing hockey is absolutely my favorite thing to do. It's addicting- and I miss being on the team with my friends. There are some younger girls on the team (one played on the US olympic team a couple of olympics ago, so she's really good) and most of us pretty much sucked. But we sure had a great time!

My grandsons have no interest in hockey, but their mom played as well as their uncle. My son was a referee for Pee Wee, when he wasn't playing.

Oh well. In Florida, I'm kayaking every day so that's the trade off I guess.

Snowbird season is in full swing!

With the help of “the complete joy of home brewing” I made my first home brews in the mid/late 80’s. I can’t say many of them were great. Some were barely drinkable. As my family doubled to 4 kids overnight I put the kettle away. 30 plus years later I recently started back up. I do mostly all grain 5 gallon batches. With a 10 gallon kettle and two 10 gallon coolers form my HLT and mash tun. I haven’t done any lagers yet but hope to this winter.

I’m mostly into Ales from blonde, pale, and brown. Love porters and stouts.

I love to listen to music while brewing. From punk rock to country to soul to classic rock.

Since starting back up last team I have done 12 batches. I’ve struggled with the software a bit but I’m finally getting the hang of it with some help from you guys.

Cheers
Hey Ron,
I am a fan and old brewer in the same circles, who has some extra kettles and equipment. If you are interested, let me know. cheers

Of course, his post was from 2019...

Back