Adventures with Kviek

Mark D Pirate

Trial Member
Reaction score
With what you say ?
Kveik are Norwegian farmhouse yeasts with some unusual properties.
Ferment temps are extremely high and will happily ferment at up to 40°C without producing phenolics or higher/ fusel alcs.
Not surprising but ferments are also extremely fast .
Flocculation is insane.

Mostly created this thread as a way of sharing knowledge of these unique strains.

I've cultured up some of the Voss 2 strain , this was 3 minutes after coming off the stirplate .
Was stunned to see it start floccing within seconds , even while the starter wort was still spinning
1545432183584-1599391566.thumb.jpg.fc0b43ff537cc84fc385c73eee263fef.jpg

nice. where did you get it?

From a commercial brewer, cultured up dregs and washed before running up a starter.
Got a no chilled cube heating up now ...feels weird heating wort to 35°C to pitch , will ferment at 35° as well to get a feel for the yeast, taking notes
EXBEERIMENT! Keep us posted!

Ambient temps here are 35'+ I could only imagine what it'd be in SA should of just left the cube outside to heat up LOL.
Thanks for the heads up with this strain I first heard about it a couple months back on YouTube watching the Nordic farmhouse brewing video and how they dry the yeast out literally. I also hear some cool flavours being produced from these yeasts too also that there are many many different variation within the same kviek strain.

Sounds like a perfect summertime yeast to me.

Look forward to what else you find out about this yeast there Mark.

Omega Voss Kveik is good shit.

In two days I will keg a batch of Orange CreamSickle NEIPA that I used Voss Kveik in.

What ferment temp did you use ?
O² ?
Pitching rate ?

Just pitched mine now
I just fermented at 23°C (only because I had a couple other beers finishing up in the fermentation chamber)
Yes, I have a gas torch so I use the O²
Not sure of pitch rate, I over pitch all the time

Still interested to hear how yours turned out.
I pitched at my standard ale rate(0.75), fresh overbuilt starter .
45 secs of pure O² and poured from height
90 mins from pitch and it's already bubbling away slowly .
FV is opaque so can't see how active any convection is but already a small krausen

Still interested to hear how yours turned out.
I pitched at my standard ale rate(0.75), fresh overbuilt starter .
45 secs of pure O² and poured from height
90 mins from pitch and it's already bubbling away slowly .
FV is opaque so can't see how active any convection is but already a small krausen

Ya mine took off really quick as well!
I do do starters for 95% of my beers, as I did with this one and 1 min of pure O²
We temp are you fermenting at? and what type of beer are you doing?

Rye IPA with Citra, mosaic and cascade.
Hoping it works well with the orange peel and citrus esters this strain is said to produce.
Ferment at 35°C.

I had thought about a neipa but didn't want to dry hop at high krausen at such high temps, worried it would blow much of the aroma straight out the airlock.
Once SG is reached I'll cool to 20 ° to dry hop

Watching this last night on the you tube
You gotta yell at your beer when you pitch that yeast Mark it's tradition:D.

SG reading at 24 hours was 1.030
32 points drop in 24 hours is not bad.
Taste wise
No phenols, no higher alcs.
Very low diacetyl.
Earthy spiciness (22% rye in grist)
Citrus, tropical fruit and floral

I've got some Ebbegarden and Skare Kveik that someone sent me from Norway. A lot of these strains were traditionally dried on a wooden ring between brews, and can tolerate being put in the freezer in their dried state. Here is a pretty cool site with information about different types of Kveik. This site is a blog run by the same person as made the registry. It's not 100% about Kveik but there's a lot of info on there.

Back