No-Boil Extract Beer

and for those of us who are not BYO subscribers...

Keep hearing Basic Brewing doing beers with this approach. It sounds like the perfect gateway drug for new homebrewers who like hoppy beers.

it wasn't a no boil but I've done a 15 minute boil extract similar, it worked perfectly as a matter of fact I didn't tell anyone and they raved about the beer, I still haven't told them he he, I put both 3 ounces of perl and cascade in a 2.5 gallon boil then topped it off to 5.5 with ice water to chill and it was a huge hit, I may try that again

James Spencer does some pretty strange things and they all seem to turn out well, according to him and his partner Steve. I like the no boil concept. Have often thought of doing some no boil DME brews during the winter. My old bones ache for days after an outdoors brew session when the temperature is in the teens or below. It would be pretty quick and easy to do a couple of smaller batches on the stove top and combine them in the fermenter.

it wasn't a no boil but I've done a 15 minute boil extract similar, it worked perfectly as a matter of fact I didn't tell anyone and they raved about the beer, I still haven't told them he he, I put both 3 ounces of perl and cascade in a 2.5 gallon boil then topped it off to 5.5 with ice water to chill and it was a huge hit, I may try that again
That, in a one-gallon size, is my ingredient test beer. And it, too, does well when served. Nothing in the world wrong with extract brewing!

I've done 2 no-boils and they have turned out great just like Basic Brewing said bring up to "sanitize temp" about 180 let stand for about 15 min. I usually ad hops they were ment to go in at 60min as soon as I hit 180 and let it hopstand then add the rest at FO. makes for a short brew day and you arn't sacraficing flavor or time to get it. Im doing a Bock this weekend and will be doing another no boil. One of these days I'll gratuate and do a 3Gal BIAB since I only have an 8 gal kettle.

Back