1.09 baking soda
water profile of
ca 47
mg 4
na 9
so4 48
cl 59
brun has my ph at 5.3

Yep 2nd this the water here makes it too easy your grist is loaded in for you your water volume . Check it out

Obviously going a dark lager beer Swartz type beer with this. I like the balanced profile or if want that crisp dry bite favour your gypsum addition.

hi guys

getting ready to brew my first lager.
going for a Vienna lager and Im just looking over my water profile
heres my recipe
9lbs Vienna
1lb munich 6l
12oz crystal 60
1oz midnight wheat (for color)
34/70 yeast
2g gypsum
3.15g cacl
1.35 Epsom
1.09 baking soda
water profile of
ca 47
mg 4
na 9
so4 48
cl 59
brun has my ph at 5.3
Take the Crystal out. Light German lagers commonly do not use crystal or caramel malts. Take the color malt out - you don't need it and a true Vienna lager is a dark golden color. If the water profile you list is the end result, you're a couple mg/l light on calcium. Otherwise, your process is going to make more of a difference than your recipe.

Vienna Lager should be 100% Vienna malt or with some small additions of Munich malt. But frankly, some of the top rated Amber/Vienna Lagers do use a combination of base malts and surprisingly, specialty malts. So Crystal malt is really not out of place, if the end result is to your liking. Vienna malt on its own is biscuity, toasty, warm, dry, crisp and goes really well with hops.

I personally tend to go for more sulfate and a mash pH of 5.25-5.35, with post boil pH at around 5.1, but that's only because I like hops and I like a dry finish.

I am going for a big malt presence and a sweeter finish. hope the profile emphasizes that.

For the water, 48 vs 59 for the sulfate vs chloride (0.8), should help the malt flavours. Though I've used a 0.7 ratio a few times and haven't noticed an obvious effect (probably more to do with the grain bill than the salts). I'm sure there's a point where the ratio takes it from malty to something less enjoyable, but no idea where, so haven't gone much past 0.7 myself.

edit: ignore the baking soda comment if you saw it, brain misfiring.

Last edited:

Back