What's your next brewing improvement?

tried that 2.5 pounds of rice hulls with flaked corn and still had to baby it

Alternatively, can you add enough rice hulls?
Seems a simpler solution to me. Might affect filtration in the grain bed. My answer, since it's HERMS, is twofold: One, figure out where the 7 degree temperature drop is coming from at strike - the calculator here works for me to about +/- 2 degrees F, close enough for homebrew - and heat up the hot liquor tank so the wort takes on more heat as it travels through the HERMS coil. Alternately and counterintuitively, slow the pump so the wort is in contact with the HLT longer, and takes on more heat. But hey, installing a mash rake is cool, you have to admit!

Thinking of in the near future finally ditching the thermomix and getting a barleycrusher 2 roller mill. Especially since I'm looking at recirculating my mash I'm going to need a larger easier pass through the grainbed.

Thinking of in the near future finally ditching the thermomix and getting a barleycrusher 2 roller mill. Especially since I'm looking at recirculating my mash I'm going to need a larger easier pass through the grainbed.

Would be a great investment. Mine is needing help getting started after several hundred pounds of grain. I think the rollers are getting smooth so I have to reach up under and help get it started sometimes.
On topic want to go electric but the way brewery power box is would need a long drop cord or run some conduit across the ceiling. So still on back burner for now. I use a fan blowing out 1 window with another window partially open with propane burners which is not an ideal setup for now.

Sometime next year I will invest in a grain mill.
MY LHBS has a 1/2 price sell on base malts twice a year. Going to get a bag of two row, and a bag of MO after Christmas.
He will mill it for me as needed for $2 until I get a mill of my own.

Would be a great investment. Mine is needing help getting started after several hundred pounds of grain. I think the rollers are getting smooth so I have to reach up under and help get it started sometimes.
On topic want to go electric but the way brewery power box is would need a long drop cord or run some conduit across the ceiling. So still on back burner for now. I use a fan blowing out 1 window with another window partially open with propane burners which is not an ideal setup for now.

Turn the rollers over, end to end, and reverse the direction you turn it. Just like having new rollers.

Turn the rollers over, end to end, and reverse the direction you turn it. Just like having new rollers.
Never thought about that. With using 1 to adjust crush assumed they were diff. :confused: they are but end to end...:rolleyes:thanks:D

Sometime next year I will invest in a grain mill.
MY LHBS has a 1/2 price sell on base malts twice a year. Going to get a bag of two row, and a bag of MO after Christmas.
He will mill it for me as needed for $2 until I get a mill of my own.

A corona mill will do the trick, and they're cheap. I've done 68 batches according to the report on here and it's still just chugging along.

Already upgraded my keg system regulator. Went with a Kegco, so far so good. The next upgrade will be adding another SS brew bucket to the fermentation room.
Also considering an 8 gallon ss mashtun, with false bottom, to be able to mash w/o a bag.

I agree with the Corona mill being a viable option if price is an issue. Still have my old Victoria( pretty much the same as a Corona) as a backup. Probably used it for 3 or 4 years with good results. I really see no difference, other than speed, after upgrading to a roller mill.
Maybe a bit more of a mess with the Victoria.

I'm in the spot where I know I get decent results with what I have, and I'm paranoid about buying a bad unit so I just keep doing what I'm doing until I'm forced to change.

I'm in the spot where I know I get decent results with what I have, and I'm paranoid about buying a bad unit so I just keep doing what I'm doing until I'm forced to change.
I think it's better to know how to work your system, whatever that is, than it is necessarily to have shiny things...
But oh how I like shiny things :D

Shiny things are awesome.

rebuilding 2 kegs
building a chiller and keg handles

this winter, since I cant brew outside when I want, I'm prettifying my control box while doing indoor extracts

Back