Brown Lager feedback

I've seen a lot of clone recipes to Munich Dunkels and Doppelbocks use both Munich Type 1 and Type 2 in equal parts. Not really sure why, I'm guessing it adds more depth?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/302578/braunbier

Any feedback?

Weyermann Munich II - 73.9%
Weyermann Pilsner - 17.4%
Caramunich I - 4.3%
Carafa II Special - 2.2%
Brown Malt - 2.2%

12 g Magnum 45 min
14 g Hallertau Mittelfruh - 30 min

M76 yeast

23 IBU
It will make a lager and it will be brown.... The rest depends on you and your process! Oh, why to use both Munichs in a recipe - they do provide slightly different flavors. Light Munich, think bread crust. Dark, think real European bread crust.

Yep looks solid to me is go a little on the malty side for water really try and given impression of lovely linguring malt flavour. The ibus are in line.

Yep looks solid to me is go a little on the malty side for water really try and given impression of lovely linguring malt flavour. The ibus are in line.

Thanks. Planning on a brown malty water profile and shooting for a pH closer to 5.5 - 5.6 which I like for darker beers.

Last edited:
Hoping to brew next week if I can make time.

This is a recipe that I have brewed before and tweaked to this. I really liked the previous version but felt the need to simplify a bit. Still not sure if the 30 minute hop addition is necessary or if I should just get all my IBUs from the first bittering addition. Using both types of munich is great advice however I don't want to change too much yet.

The traditional German way would be a single hop addition. That's not to say it's how you should do it. What would a 30-minute addition do that the 60 minute addition would not?

The traditional German way would be a single hop addition. That's not to say it's how you should do it. What would a 30-minute addition do that the 60 minute addition would not?

Yep. I do 45 min mash and boils so I will stick with one addition.

Brewing this tomorrow night. Only change is using only one hop addition. Toying around with using more brown malt but I suppose I will leave it this time.

Sorry if my updates are annoying...

Appears to have finished at 1.014. Currently warming up to 62 for d rest and will cold crash in a couple of days. Sample is really nice. Would like to enter as a dunkel depending on how roasty it comes out which seems mild enough at this point.

Back