Help needed finding the best sources for parts for electronic keggle outside the US

Tal Orbach

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I am planning to buy an empty keggle (i.e. keg without top, and with a few holes, but no fittings or accessories) and convert it to an eBIAB system.
I did find a good list of parts that I could use, but the problem is that on that list, nearly every bolt, washer and hose are from different online vendors. I really hate the idea of wasting so much packaging material, so I prefer fewer suppliers to get me there, but at the same time, I don't want to spend too much for all of this, which means Aliexpress and the likes are probably my go-to sources (as I don't live in the States).
I should mention, I'm not looking for anything fancy. All I actually want is something to make brew day as easy as possible. I'm pretty sure I don't need pumps or whirlpools or anything like that (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here). Basically, a heating element, thermometer, valve, and that's about it.

Is there any chance someone here could help me with this?
I tried finding some parts online, from other suppliers, and I think I found a few, but I'm not 100% sure that they really are what I'm looking for, so even just help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

Tal

Hi.
I am planning to buy an empty keggle (i.e. keg without top, and with a few holes, but no fittings or accessories) and convert it to an eBIAB system.
I did find a good list of parts that I could use, but the problem is that on that list, nearly every bolt, washer and hose are from different online vendors. I really hate the idea of wasting so much packaging material, so I prefer fewer suppliers to get me there, but at the same time, I don't want to spend too much for all of this, which means Aliexpress and the likes are probably my go-to sources (as I don't live in the States).
I should mention, I'm not looking for anything fancy. All I actually want is something to make brew day as easy as possible. I'm pretty sure I don't need pumps or whirlpools or anything like that (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here). Basically, a heating element, thermometer, valve, and that's about it.

Is there any chance someone here could help me with this?
I tried finding some parts online, from other suppliers, and I think I found a few, but I'm not 100% sure that they really are what I'm looking for, so even just help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

Tal
EBay might be an option. I'm doing a similar thing with similar approach simple no bells and whistles. I'm using a cheap kettle element from big retail store here $7.5 I paid for it 2200 watt 240v I'll be using a kegking element as other one so two. Kegland do a 4000watt power meter so you can adjust the power to your element for boil control and mashing without pid so you don't overshoot too much. E.g. you can turn down the wattage to element once within site of mash temp and gently creep it up. This way you can use an stc1000 if you want for mash .
As for recirculation with pump I think I'll use my current method of give the pot a stir with mash spoon.

Here's a link to the vid on repurposing kettle element for brew pot. Enjoy

This controller thing looks pretty interesting.
But regarding using kettle elements - aren't they too dense, causing caramelization? I know that usually it is recommended to use low watt density elements for brew pots, to avoid caramelization.

This controller thing looks pretty interesting.
But regarding using kettle elements - aren't they too dense, causing caramelization? I know that usually it is recommended to use low watt density elements for brew pots, to avoid caramelization.
Your dead set right that's why I plan to use it as a sort or auxiliary element to help raise temp quick to mash/boil and if need be to get a good rolling boil going by adjusting the power to the element by power controller unit. Ill use the keg king element 100%. Yes a PID will do the and one is the EZboil pid that Ozarks pointed out recently. But for now I'll install elements and see where I end up.
So your call Tal they are cheap elements and yes cheaper isn't better but I'm a cheap arse by nature...

Your dead set right that's why I plan to use it as a sort or auxiliary element to help raise temp quick to mash/boil and if need be to get a good rolling boil going by adjusting the power to the element by power controller unit. Ill use the keg king element 100%. Yes a PID will do the and one is the EZboil pid that Ozarks pointed out recently. But for now I'll install elements and see where I end up.
So your call Tal they are cheap elements and yes cheaper isn't better but I'm a cheap arse by nature...
So you're saying one "serious" element and one cheap kettle one, for when you need that extra bit of power?

So you're saying one "serious" element and one cheap kettle one, for when you need that extra bit of power?
Yep exactly but remember this is all in theory sorta like them all in one brew units where you can flick a switch for high low power well same for one or two elements:rolleyes:.

Yep exactly but remember this is all in theory sorta like them all in one brew units where you can flick a switch for high low power well same for one or two elements:rolleyes:.
OK. Sounds interesting.
And if you have this power controller, why not just use all cheap elements? I mean, if you use 3 cheap elements, each set at low power, I'm pretty sure caramelization will no longer be an issue. No?

OK. Sounds interesting.
And if you have this power controller, why not just use all cheap elements? I mean, if you use 3 cheap elements, each set at low power, I'm pretty sure caramelization will no longer be an issue. No?
Yeah but then I need a controller on each element which I'll probably end up doing. I recon I'll only need two. My boils are around 25-30 listers.

Here is go TaL got that cheap element installed now I'm still alive so that's a bonus:D!
20181205_191555.jpg

I'll tape up the connections at the back to less chance of getting electrocuted. I use 12v auto connectors to tightly plug over element positive and neutral ends so they fit nice and snug like in gash slugs video up there^^.
20181205_191615.jpg

No leaks but the wire does get quite warm could imagine with this element on continuously it would heat right up! Anyhow let me know what/how you decide to go.

Back