Brewer’s Best Natural Extract Flavoring

BoomerBrews

Trial Member
Reaction score
I’ve now brewed 4 beers total, an APA, Porter, American wheat, and SMaSH. In the porter I split the batch into two and used brewers best caramel and pecan natural extract flavoring. At the time of bottling it tasted decent. Figured it would mature. It’s now 2.5 weeks later and I cracked one open and the taste is a very very artificial almost chemical-like taste. Last night my American wheat which I added 2.25lbs of dark sweet cherries at high krausen finished fermentation. I checked my FG and hit my goal. I tasted the sample and it was bitter and dry as expected. You definitely can tell it’s a fruit beer.. I have brewers best natural cherry flavoring as well. I took one glass sample of non carbonated beer and measured out 1ML of flavor and added that to the sample to see if it would help. It again brought out a chemical like cough syrup taste. Needless to say I will not be adding any of it to my beer. I’m experimenting with a habanero tincture that’s been soaking vodka to add to a small portion of my mosaic SMaSH Beer.

Did anyone else have similar experiences with these extract flavoring? Any tips on my porter which I have 3 gallons with flavoring added? Will a longer condition help?

Sorry to hear your bad experiences with these flavorings. I've not used them myself but have found artificial flavoring will come across the same way in beers I've used them in (very few and far between ). My 2c is always try and go the real McCoy if you can all natural you'll get a more realistic flavour.

My experience with the cherry flavoring was not good. One member, long since gone, suggested more aging but I never used it again. I have used the blueberry extract on 4 different occasions at 2 oz per 5 gallons and all turned out very good.

I've used a few of their flavorings in ciders with excellent results. Some are very strong and require as little as 2 to 3 ounces in 5 gallons, while others require as much as 6 ounces to get a nice flavor. I have never gotten any artificial type flavor with the ones I've tried.

It may very well be that you added too much or that you are overly sensitive to something in the flavorings. More is not always better.

I've used a few of their flavorings in ciders with excellent results. Some are very strong and require as little as 2 to 3 ounces in 5 gallons, while others require as much as 6 ounces to get a nice flavor. I have never gotten any artificial type flavor with the ones I've tried.

It may very well be that you added too much or that you are overly sensitive to something in the flavorings. More is not always better.
Actually I used less than 2ozs in my 5 gallon batch of porter. I used 2ml for 16oz as a taster in my wheat. It’s less than recommended and still tastes fake

So many factors in the end result flavour of beer, never mind with adding flavours. If you are new to brewing I might suggest keeping it simple until you are consistently brewing good beer. Then experiment with adding flavours, be they natural or artificial. I am new to brewing this past February, think I have done 12 brews to date. Some good, a couple very good, and some that were disappointing. Lots and lots to learn about this hobby.

So many factors in the end result flavour of beer, never mind with adding flavours. If you are new to brewing I might suggest keeping it simple until you are consistently brewing good beer. Then experiment with adding flavours, be they natural or artificial. I am new to brewing this past February, think I have done 12 brews to date. Some good, a couple very good, and some that were disappointing. Lots and lots to learn about this hobby.
I agree with that. I split my porter batch In half and the original was absolutely delicious. Same thing with this cherry beer. I brewed with cherries and didn’t add flavor to the whole batch yet and it’s pretty damn good so I’ll keep it without the flavoring.

Has anyone else tried the beer? If as someone suggested earlier you are sensitive to something in the extract it could taste bad to you but taste fine to people who are not sensitive to it. Have a couple other people try it and see if they get the same flavor as you did.

Has anyone else tried the beer? If as someone suggested earlier you are sensitive to something in the extract it could taste bad to you but taste fine to people who are not sensitive to it. Have a couple other people try it and see if they get the same flavor as you did.
3 out of 4 tasters of the porter tasted the artificial fake caramel flavoring I did. 3 out of 3 tasted the artificial cherry flavor and 1 of 3 said they enjoyed the artificial flavoring more than the regular version.

I've honestly never tried artificial flavouring but you;re definitely not selling me on it.

I've honestly never tried artificial flavouring but you;re definitely not selling me on it.
I may have chosen bad flavors as some have had good luck with other flavors. I’ll keep trying other flavors and see what happens.

Back