A Millennial Job Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a bit chicken and the egg I think. With a little one now, I can see myself helping to encourage him now and again. Like maybe not trying as hard at a board game every once in a while or something.
We want to give the best to our kids, but kids are also great at adapting to their environment. And once established, habits are hard to break....
Can you tell I got into the crowler of raspberry vanilla milkshake ipa?
It's not immediately obvious....

It doesn't help that Boomers seem to have turned MIllenial into a term covering anyone born after 1980. Do you want to shit the 18 year old or the 37 year old? Neither of us will ever be able to afford anything the way things are going anyway.

And you think we had life served to us on a silver platter?

Can't do bloody mary's. Tomato juice makes me gag.

That's not the intent at all, but you can't deny the concept of working one place your entire life and being able to afford a home and family on one income is something that is not an option. As well as the fact that it seems like they're busy pulling the ladder up behind them in a very "fuck you I got mine" attitude.

Everything seems to be millenials fault these days and the definition is only broadening to make us look worse. So quite frankly, I don't respond well to it.

Actually yes, I will say we have hurdles you didn't face. Stagnant wages, offshoring of any skilled work, automation, massive housing inflation, extreme increases in the cost of education... should I continue?

There you go now, putting us all in the same box. I never worked at the same job for more than 2 or 3 years until I was in my early '40s. Most of the job changes were attempts to improve my income and most didn't pan out. Suppose I could have blamed it on someone else, but being stubborn kept me plugging along.

Couldn't even think about owning a home until after meeting my wife in the mid '80s. I'm 70, do the math. Finally left the city and bought an old falling down place out in the boondocks, thanks to some creative financing and horse trading. Both my wife and I continued to work our tails off until retirement. We relocated here where the cost of living is much lower and manage to live comfortably on our Social Security and a little extra that my wife makes working from home part time.

In case you don't know it, the US government along with a bunch of environmentalists, wreaked havoc on several large industries, including steel and timber, during the time much of my generation was struggling to find it's place in the economy. Then we had the Carter administration here when mortgage rates soared to near 20%. Add to that, massive tax increases that forced most couples to both work.

I would venture to guess that my life experiences are closer to the norm than that of the silver spooners you somehow think of as typical Boomers.

With the help of several scholarships we were able to help see our daughter through 4 years of college, resulting in 2 BAs before she worked her own way through her post graduate work to earn her Masters Degree. After graduating she had to relocate in order to find a good job in her area of expertise. She's 27 now and is applying to universities for her Doctorate studies. Doesn't that also shoot part of your theory in the ass?

Most of us learn, at some point in our lives, that you reap what you sow. Some times it takes more than a little tenacity, but that's life in the real world. If that statement means I'm pulling the ladder up behind me, so be it.

I see no need for to spend any more time on this subject, so rest my case.

I wasn't the one that started putting everyone in the same box. I am extremely well aware that the stereotype is not the rule because I fall considerably outside of it. I'm one of the people who firmly appreciates how much luck and circumstance has influenced my life,

How much debt did your daughter take on and how much of it did she pay for herself? It doesn't disprove anything other than the fact you got offended when I didn't just laugh at the cheap shots taken against millennials. Because unless she got literally tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships she got money from somewhere else, my wife has a Masters so I know damned well what is involved in it.

Since you bring up social security, what do you expect the odds are it will still exist when your daughter retires? Because I stopped expecting CPP (Canada Pension Plan) to exist for my retirement by my early twenties.

That's frankly nonsense. But a very American view of the world.

That's frankly nonsense. But a very American view of the world.
Well, I am 100% American.
But really man, a generation will creep up under you all too soon.

Last edited:
I have no doubt about that, but I want things to be better for the next one. I'm a big fan of roads, schools, hospitals, etc...

I also see the writing on the wall with automation and the American glorification of corporate profits. I have no desire to experience the anarchy and labour riots of the 20s like so many others seem hell bent on.

I wasn't the one that started putting everyone in the same box. I am extremely well aware that the stereotype is not the rule because I fall considerably outside of it. I'm one of the people who firmly appreciates how much luck and circumstance has influenced my life,

How much debt did your daughter take on and how much of it did she pay for herself? It doesn't disprove anything other than the fact you got offended when I didn't just laugh at the cheap shots taken against millennials. Because unless she got literally tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships she got money from somewhere else, my wife has a Masters so I know damned well what is involved in it.

Since you bring up social security, what do you expect the odds are it will still exist when your daughter retires? Because I stopped expecting CPP (Canada Pension Plan) to exist for my retirement by my early twenties.

She did get tens of thousands in scholarships and had loans totaling only 26,000 after all was said and done. She is paying the loans herself. I doubt seriously that she'll care whether or not Social Security is still around.

I have no doubt about that, but I want things to be better for the next one. I'm a big fan of roads, schools, hospitals, etc...
I also see the writing on the wall with automation and the American glorification of corporate profits. I have no desire to experience the anarchy and labour riots of the 20s like so many others seem hell bent on.
I won't apologize if my American way offends you. You can live your life the way you choose. Best of luck grasshopper.

And just fyi. Almost 30 years later...I'm making MY last college payment next month. I fulfilled my obligation.

I paid mine off at 27. You can be as condescending as you want but it doesn't change reality.

Bob, she doesn't care if social security is still around because she thinks things in America will improve enough to not need it, or because she got hers and everyone else can go hang?

Edit: As an addendum, I'm not entirely sure what you guys think I think the world owes me or whatever you want to argue, but I'm in the 98th percentile of income for Canada so I don't need any help. However being a decent human being requires that I bring everyone up with me as best I can.

It's called the social contract, I'm not the US ever really believed in that though.

I'm honestly not in any way angry, I'm just done humouring people.

If I was condescending and hurt your feelings...I apologize.

That's outstanding paying your college off at 27! Seriously. I paid way more than I should have lol. Especially since I never used my degree. I continued on and followed my passion in construction and here I am over 30 years later in the blink of an eye...but I don't feel bad, I'm a master tradesman and have trained many others who have continued on and trained others and supported their families. I'm alright with that.

And as far as social contract. Not my bag.

I don't hold anything against you @Hawkbox . I really don't. The system that's failing you now will continue to fail you.
Cheers brother. I'll be here to brew and drink delicious homebrew with you, and If you ever come to Colorado, hit me up man. I'll drink malty ones with you all day.

Could a moderator kill this thread please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back