Making wine and beer

Deano1602

Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else here make homemade wine as well as brew beer besides me? I have apple and pear trees in my yard and i make wine from all sorts of different fruit.also. just wondering.

Just kegged 5 gallons of apple cider here. Cheers

Does anyone else here make homemade wine as well as brew beer besides me? I have apple and pear trees in my yard and i make wine from all sorts of different fruit.also. just wondering.
We do wines as well, but largely European-style wines from kits. Once in a while, usually about once a year, we get some juice and make an Albarino. Fruit wines.... Not so much. I want to do some cider from our crab apple tree but am too lazy to tend the fruit.

I was a winemaker many years before I started brewing.

Right now I have quite a bit of wine in carboys from this fall: beta- type concord-cross grapes, blackberry, Bob's 5 berry blend (from berries from our yard, a blend of black currants, elderberries, chokecherries, black chokeberries, and blackberries), apple wine, crabapple wine, and a few others I can't recall at this moment.

I've been making wine for about 30 years now.

My Dad made wine, thank you Jimmy Carter, and I have a few pieces of his hardware that I have repurposed for beer and I too dipped my toe into the grapes last year and again yesterday, thank you Yopper! Both times I have done the Welch's concentrate and it really does get better in the bottle. I went with a mix of the red and white frozen concentrate last time and brewed a punch purple concoction that I really liked. The wife is a sweet whites lover so I need to go in that direction next time...maybe we can compromise on a fruity Rose....anybody got a recipe for my tightwad taste?

In addition to beer and wine, I also make sauerkraut, fermented peppers and other fermented vegetables, Kombucha, vinegar and Mead to name a few.
I've also made cheese and butter.
ETC! haha
Kind of a rabbit hole.
Cheers,
Brian

Hello! I'm new here, Is my pleasure to be a part of your wonderful brewing club, I never brew a gin I usually purchase gin from Edim Mils but now I'm looking to brew my own, Please share with me the gin recipe and it complete brewing process if is possible for you.

I had a boat load of grapes from my backyard one year. I thought I would try making wine. Found a recipe on the internet, had quite a bit of added sugar as i remember. Came out the prettiest purple clean wine you can imagine. Not being a wine drinker it sat around for a year or so, about 12 bottles.
My daughter inlaw stopped by and decided to try a glass. She wasn't that impressed, I gave it a try , not too bad so I finished the bottle. Bad deal, thought I was going to fall off the floor for two days...
No more wine for me.

thought I was going to fall off the floor for two days...
Wow, impressive. I was always told you can't fall off the floor.

I recently kegged 5 gallons of Chardonnay for my better half. From an $80 kit at the LHBS, came out crystal clear and better than expected. Fast carbed a PET bottle, and she likes the carbonated version even better, so now the keg is on pressure for a day or two.

I never thought of kegging wine.

@Yooper gave me the idea. Non-fizzy (still) wine gets 1-2 psi, just enough to dispense. No corks, bottles, etc.

I used to make wine, but that's a while ago!
It was my uncle who got me into it. I remember the first batch was from packs of grape juice mixed with apple juice.

I then moved to countries where I either wasn't long enough to set up or where fruit was too expensive or with sugar shortages....
Now it is cider (from packs of juice) or beer

Back