First Biere de Garde

That looks tasty. You'll have to let us know how it turns out. I have a similar recipe that I want to try out but it's a ways down the pipeline for now.

looks solid to me as for the notes on pilsner look at the changes in color and sugar in the calculator, I prefer pilsner over 2 row myself then pale ale instead of 2 row the other direction

Thanks guys. I'm really hoping to use as many "authentic French" ingredients as I can

That certain "Je ne sais pas" as well? ;)
I'm certain it will be wonderful.

I've never tried one, time to "acquire" another recipe!

I've never tried one, time to "acquire" another recipe!
Yeah, I've had one from Dogfish head but that's about it.
I've had that name kicking around for a while and since we just hired a Frenchman at work, I figured now's as good a time as any

Makes sense from what I've read and tasted. And from the reading, the garde part is the French equivalent of lagering, so a week or so at as close to freezing as you can get after it's finished. Though never having brewed anything with a lagering phase I've no idea if it's worth the hassle.

Looks like a flavourfull beer to me hope it turns out as expected.

Makes sense from what I've read and tasted. And from the reading, the garde part is the French equivalent of lagering, so a week or so at as close to freezing as you can get after it's finished. Though never having brewed anything with a lagering phase I've no idea if it's worth the hassle.
As to lagering, it's definitely worth it. Lagering generally goes a month or longer, the French and Belgians tend to warm-condition their (non-Pilsner) beers after packaging. The Biere de Gardes I've had have tended to be more or less a sweeter version of a Saison. I'm not a fan. But I know JC will pull it off.

Back