Fermenter headspace

Stout@TheDevil

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing 5 gallon batches and I’ll be fermenting in the starter kit buckets. When I upgrade ( Xmas around the corner as is my birthday) should I ask for 7 gallon fermenters? Give myself a little room in case of a blow off (think i am using that term right) or in case i end up with a little more wort than I planned ( i have an 8 Gallon kettle) or would a 5.3 fermenter be 5 for a 5 gallon batch? Looking specifically at Speidals.

Thankee sai.

I'd definitely go the 7 gallon route for the reasons you said. .3 gallons isn't a whole lot of head space.
Fermentation, if it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

Second. Go with minimum 7 gallons for the primary fermentor. The 8-gallon Speidel makes a nice fermentor - I have one.

Second. Go with minimum 7 gallons for the primary fermentor. The 8-gallon Speidel makes a nice fermentor - I have one.
Seems I joined the right ka-tet. Next question, spigot or no spigot? My concern is the spigot being so close to the trub, it might drag it in to my bottling bucket.

Attachments

• B78EA3B5-F2C0-446E-9C28-619FA7EBDA4A.jpeg
    B78EA3B5-F2C0-446E-9C28-619FA7EBDA4A.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 197
I'm back to using the spigot. I have no trouble if it's no, or a small dry hop. Any hop forward beer and I have to bag the whirlpool and dry hop additions. And that's just the mini 12 litre speidel.

Haha. I can't believe the spigot haters haven't shown up yet, but I'll never give up my fermenters with spigot either. As long as you keep them clean and sanitized, there should be no issues. I've never had a problem with mine clogging up even using fruits and dry hopping. There are some nice spigots that have a pick up tube that can be turned if trub is a concern.

Haha. I can't believe the spigot haters haven't shown up yet, but I'll never give up my fermenters with spigot either. As long as you keep them clean and sanitized, there should be no issues. I've never had a problem with mine clogging up even using fruits and dry hopping. There are some nice spigots that have a pick up tube that can be turned if trub is a concern.

Last week I took the first batch out of my new Anvil fermenter. It has a rotating pick up tube/spigot which made drawing off beer easy and clean. Good bye and good riddance siphon tubes:) Super easy to dismantle and clean after use.

https://www.anvilbrewing.com/product-p/anv-fv-7.5gal.htm

Another spigot supporter here. I have gone from carboys to Fermonsters w/o spigots, then with spigots and now have an SS Brewbucket w/ spigot. I can see where a little trub can be a pain if bottling, but if kegging it’s no big deal. 7 or 8 gallon for sure.

Spigot here. Ordered my first Fermonster without spigot and the second one with. The spigot sure makes life easier. Keep forgetting to order one for my other Fermonster. Another must is the lid remover spanner.

I'm looking for a new fermenter too.

Requirements -
  • needs nice handles.
  • Needs wide opening for dry hopping or adding fruit to cider. Preferably without taking the lid off.
  • pressure transfer ability.
  • Thermowell option. Preferably a way to use the thermowell I already have (goes through double drilled stopper)
  • Blowoff tube capability
  • Ability to take samples without opening or using wine thief (Spigot)
  • Spigot turns to get as much wort as possible
  • Easy to clean without scratching.
  • Graduation marks preferably etched and in gallons ;)
  • Conical area in the bottom to catch trub
  • Able to fit inside my chest freezer fermentation chamber without modification

I'm looking for a new fermenter too.

Requirements -
  • needs nice handles.
  • Needs wide opening for dry hopping or adding fruit to cider. Preferably without taking the lid off.
  • pressure transfer ability.
  • Thermowell option. Preferably a way to use the thermowell I already have (goes through double drilled stopper)
  • Blowoff tube capability
  • Ability to take samples without opening or using wine thief (Spigot)
  • Spigot turns to get as much wort as possible
  • Easy to clean without scratching.
  • Graduation marks preferably etched and in gallons ;)
  • Conical area in the bottom to catch trub
  • Able to fit inside my chest freezer fermentation chamber without modification
Sounds like you're looking for a unicorn with that wishlist :)

OK, I'm here, I don't like Spigots!
I'm in the camp of less potential sources of contamination.

The recommended head space is 20% for a primary fermentation. A 7 gallon fermentor will be fine. Even a little smaller is OK, but why risk it.
When I was only brewing for me, back in the day, I was all Glass. Now that I have to take into considerations of safety for my staff, I'm in Fermonsters for my small batches and Stainless Steel for the larger ones.

I like the PET plastic as it's not permeable. The other "Buckets and such" are permeable and will pick up smells and impart characteristics in downstream batches.
The Fermonsters can be used in production for either Beer or Wine without having to separate them.
Cheers,
Brian

Spigot here. Ordered my first Fermonster without spigot and the second one with. The spigot sure makes life easier. Keep forgetting to order one for my other Fermonster. Another must is the lid remover spanner.

Do you have a link to fermonster spigots? Those sound right up my alley.

Back