First Belgian

Vesparados

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I started my first Belgian Golden Strong Ale on Saturday. I used a Wyeast 3787 High Gravity Trappist yeast. The recipe was for 5 gallons. I had read somewhere that I should consider doubling the yeast or at least making a starter. Short story is I didn't and the fermentation took off crazy hot in about twelve hours. The Wyeast was only two weeks old by the date stamp. Is this normal for a 3787? Or a result of adding sugar to the boil? Are Belgians always this energetic?

They're generally quite energetic but be careful - the underpitch could lead to a stalled fermentation. Keep it nice and warm.

They're generally quite energetic but be careful - the underpitch could lead to a stalled fermentation. Keep it nice and warm.
Thank you, will do..70F is where we are at now. Should primary fermentation then be extended? Say a couple of weeks?

Thank you, will do..70F is where we are at now. Should primary fermentation then be extended? Say a couple of weeks?
Let it warm beyond 70. As I understand it, Belgian yeasts are descended from red wine yeasts (may be beer lore!), so they can take some heat. I'd say 75 at a minimum. I'm fermenting a Belgian now using the Abbey yeast, started cool, let warm. Seems to be working nicely.

Back