Banking Yeast

Texas Ale Works

Premium Member
Reaction score
So, I pulled a quart of the last of the beer sitting on the yeast cake, the SSBT Brew Bucket made it simple, so I did it...
Then I poured a pint of pure slurry.....

Both are in the fridge, the quart of beer has dropped a nice layer of yeast in the bottom of the jar.
The slurry has done this crazy separation into 3 layers..best guess bottom layer is the slurry, middle layer is wort, top layer is up for debate.

THis is my first attempt at saving/banking yeast....and have no idea what to do next....lol

I boiled the jars and lids for 15 min, then capped them and let them cool.....mason jars FWIW....

whats the next step....been 3 days now

T

Uh you can just dump it in your next batch if you want, or do you intend to freeze it? I usually use fresh yeast and starter wort if I'm going to make tubes for freezing. You should see a layer in there that is a creamy white, that is your actual yeast.

I have mason jars in the fridge sitting with yeast and beer in them for months at a time. The only reason to do more than maybe separate it into multiple jars is if you want to try washing it, which I don't bother.

If you keep it longer than a week or two, just take a portion of it out and make a starter. When I do that method, I take a heaping tablespoon per liter of starter wort. You don’t want too much yeast in the starter, otherwise there is not enough growth. You will need significant growth of the yeast count to end up with a fresh and young pitch.

How long are you thinking? If it's in the next 2 months there's probably nothing you need to do. If you're thinking more like 3-6 months I'd at least make a starter before you pitch although you'd likely still be fine.

Yeah generally if I have a yeast in the fridge hit the 6 month mark without me using it I do a starter if for not other reason than to keep it going. Though if I'm not using a yeast for 6+ months why do I have it?

Yeah if that's within the next 2 months I wouldn't worry about it.

Back