Water part of a recipe

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have only been here a short time, but I must tell you what a phenomenal site you have here, bravo.

I just wonder out loud to myself, could water become part of a recipe, so that it could be adjusted and subsequently scaled along with the other recipe ingredients?

As opposed to, as I see it now, the recipe is linked to a profile. If you were to scale the batch to a different volume, the salt additions don't get scaled, you have to review and make adjustments to the additions.
Thanks,
Craigerrr

For reference, I start with RO and build to as close as I can get to the appropriate target profile.

Sorry, I am thinking, and, well that's not always a good thing;)
If the water additions could be worked back to percentages of water volume, they could be scaled with the size of the recipe. Also (hate starting a sentence with that word), as water volumes change from adjustments to equipment profile settings being tweaked, or upgrades in equipment, the salt additions could be automatically affected.

Okay, I started into this hobby in February, and now I am hooked, I'm a brew junkie now:D

Sorry, I am thinking, and, well that's not always a good thing;)
If the water additions could be worked back to percentages of water volume, they could be scaled with the size of the recipe. Also (hate starting a sentence with that word), as water volumes change from adjustments to equipment profile settings being tweaked, or upgrades in equipment, the salt additions could be automatically affected.

Okay, I started into this hobby in February, and now I am hooked, I'm a brew junkie now:D

Do you mean you would always add the same amount of the salts, no matter what the recipe or the beer style, and would just scale that? I'm trying to understand what you would like to see as a feature.

Do you mean you would always add the same amount of the salts, no matter what the recipe or the beer style, and would just scale that? I'm trying to understand what you would like to see as a feature.
I think Craig is trying to make the problem a lot easier than it actually is.

No, I mean that the water additions, if they were entered directly into the recipe, would be automatically scaled along with the grist, and hop additions if you were to change the batch size. And would automatically be adjusted if you were to make adjustments to your absorption, and boil off numbers in your profile. Presently if you change the batch size, or your equipment profile you need to go into the associated water profile and make adjustments to your additions to account for the reduction, or increase in your water volume.
Hope this makes sense,
C

No, I mean that the water additions, if they were entered directly into the recipe, would be automatically scaled along with the grist, and hop additions if you were to change the batch size. And would automatically be adjusted if you were to make adjustments to your absorption, and boil off numbers in your profile. Presently if you change the batch size, or your equipment profile you need to go into the associated water profile and make adjustments to your additions to account for the reduction, or increase in your water volume.
Hope this makes sense,
C

You mean if you put the salts in as ingredients, you don't find that they scale up like the hops and grain do?

You mean if you put the salts in as ingredients, you don't find that they scale up like the hops and grain do?
And doesn't the latest update bring the salts over to the recipe as "other ingredients" when using the water calculator linked to a recipe?

Correct
I just copied a recipe to test, and then scaled it from 6 gallons to 10. The salt additions did not change in the water profile, either did the water volumes.
I also recently made adjustments to my boil off, kettle losses, and absorption numbers, and the water additions and volumes did not change for that either in the water profile. They did however change in the quick water requirements.
C

The recipe that I copied and scaled didn't show the water adds in the recipe view, I scaled another recipe that did show the water adds, I doubled the recipe, and it did double the water addition amounts.

Sorry about this, should have done more research before posting.:confused:

Back