Capping the mash

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Is there currently a way to account for a portion of the malt bill to not be in the mash itself?
I'm using a bit of carafa, if I take it out of the fermentable list, the color in the recipe editor will be wrong, but the mash ph and such would be more accurate because the carafa is not in the mash.

Maybe this belongs in the feature request section, but it seems like a checkbox similar to the one for late additions when using extract might work?

So the late addition box shows up no matter what. Clicking it on the carafa very minutely changed IBUs, not sure about anything else
Is this meant to be for capping? If not, why is it there when a grain is selected, seems it just wouldn't apply then

you can add it to the others list or custom grain, where are you going to add it

if you just want it for color then grind it in a coffee grinder then add it at the sparge stage, all it will do is add color

I ddint think the other category affected any of the recipe stats.
And is there a sparge stage for the recipe editor? I thought it was just fermentables

so I'm confused are you messing with the calculator or brewing a dark beer without affecting the ph or sugar

Both?
I posted a schwarzbier recipe after getting my water adjustments all set up. Nosybear mentioned that I had a lot of carafa in there. I didn't make any note that I was going to cap it.
Which led me to think since it's not in the mash, the water chemistry might be a bit off from what the software is telling me since I still have the carafa in ther fermentables list

Basically, do the mash like normal, then put the carafa on top of the mash, maybe stir a little, then sparge (or in my case lift the BIAB bag)

It will still change the wort pH, but not the mash pH, so I'm not sure how to make the software account for it. The boil pH will be impacted, but of course the mash pH wouldn't.

Adding it as a "late addition", maybe?

It will still change the wort pH, but not the mash pH, so I'm not sure how to make the software account for it. The boil pH will be impacted, but of course the mash pH wouldn't.

Adding it as a "late addition", maybe?
I think that's what I was thinking. I'm still new to the water side of things so I might have confused the issue
To me at least, late addition is synonymous with extract or sugar, so it was weird to see that option there for grain as well. But, if it doesn't count late additions towards the mash ph (but will still affect the color) then I think thats a solution. Thanks

Back