Halving a Recipe

BoulterBrewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to halve a recipe from a book that i've got. Essentially I don't have the capacity to do a full batch and just want to squeeze a half-batch in.

I'm just trying to figure out how to correctly halve everything? I'm assuming that grist and hops will all get halved, but the water boil-off rate will remain the same, so I should halve the volume going into my fermenter, but add on the same boil-off vol?

FWIW - I'm in the UK brewing BIAB in a 33L pot. The original recipe was 20L - I used 22L pre-boil vol. Boil time is 60min. so I'm guessing i'd need a pre-boil volume of 12L?

Thanks all

Use the recipe builder here in brewers friend. Enter the original recipe and then use the feature "scale recipe ". It works great

I'm looking to halve a recipe from a book that i've got. Essentially I don't have the capacity to do a full batch and just want to squeeze a half-batch in.

I'm just trying to figure out how to correctly halve everything? I'm assuming that grist and hops will all get halved, but the water boil-off rate will remain the same, so I should halve the volume going into my fermenter, but add on the same boil-off vol?

FWIW - I'm in the UK brewing BIAB in a 33L pot. The original recipe was 20L - I used 22L pre-boil vol. Boil time is 60min. so I'm guessing i'd need a pre-boil volume of 12L?

Thanks all
Your boil off will be the same- less grain absobtion as above plug it into recipie builder and adjust from there.

Yeah, I plugged it through the recipe builder, but i'm still getting to grips with it and I haven't got my equipment profile configured properly yet.

Thanks for all the advice though.

Back