Will it ever stop fermenting...

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have my Cit Ruby Cit IPA still chugging away after 2 weeks in the fermenter.
Krauzen still on top, still visible yeast activity in the wort, and still seeing air lock activity.
Recipe:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/650670/cit-ruby-cit

This is just my 9th batch to date. This is my first time using this yeast strain (Omega British ale V). It is a liquid yeast, and I did a starter 2 days prior to brewing. On every other batch I have done to date, fermentation, at list visible signs of fermentation, happened pretty quick.
I have learned to be patient, and leave it for 2 weeks even if fermentation seemed complete in 4 or 5 days.

Is this normal, should I sit back RDWHAHB?

your dry hop could be letting off oxygen and it seems like C02, I would take a gravity sample if it's at your target call it done

I haven't added the dry hop addition yet, plan was to add it after fermentation was completed, leave it for 3 days, then cold crash for 3 days.

I have my Cit Ruby Cit IPA still chugging away after 2 weeks in the fermenter.
Krauzen still on top, still visible yeast activity in the wort, and still seeing air lock activity.
Recipe:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/650670/cit-ruby-cit

This is just my 9th batch to date. This is my first time using this yeast strain (Omega British ale V). It is a liquid yeast, and I did a starter 2 days prior to brewing. On every other batch I have done to date, fermentation, at list visible signs of fermentation, happened pretty quick.
I have learned to be patient, and leave it for 2 weeks even if fermentation seemed complete in 4 or 5 days.

Is this normal, should I sit back RDWHAHB?
Is it slowly warming over time? If so, it might just be dissolved CO2 coming out of the beer. If it isn't, taste it and make sure some nasty hasn't taken up residence in it - S. Cerevisiae will be done with a wort in that time at ale temperatures.

Looks like you mashed pretty low. Depending how low you did actually get, you probably have a highly fermentable wort. When I start mashing that low, it's not uncommon for me to see 2-21/2 weeks. But the 2 brewers posts above speak the truth.

Reactions: CT
Thanks guys, I will have a look at it after work today, check the gravity, and QA the sample.

just an fyi you want to add dry hops before fermentation stops to avoid oxygen from entering the vessel and sitting on top

Ozarks, and Hawkbox, thank you for your additional thoughts much appreciated. After some quality family time, and some pizza we all made together (my job of course was to stay the F out of the way), I took a sample, gravity 1.010, lower than target, tastes... Interesting. Added 2oz of Citra, put the air lock back in, see you a week Monday!

Looks like you mashed pretty low. Depending how low you did actually get, you probably have a highly fermentable wort. When I start mashing that low, it's not uncommon for me to see 2-21/2 weeks. But the 2 brewers posts above speak the truth.
My strike temperature was chosen to get me to a mash temp of 152, which my notes tell me i hit, temp was still slightly over 151 after 60 minutes. I actually have no idea what would be the best temperature to Mash this recipe at...

It won't stop until it's pure alcohol.
Sage advice, thank you my Canadian brother. Go Oilers? You guys have to be better this year... right?

Is it slowly warming over time? If so, it might just be dissolved CO2 coming out of the beer. If it isn't, taste it and make sure some nasty hasn't taken up residence in it - S. Cerevisiae will be done with a wort in that time at ale temperatures.
Thanks Nosy, the temperature has been dependant on the ambient, although air conditioned, temperature of the house throughout fermentation, it would have been generally around 72F most of the time, but it got as high as 77F one day when her Majesty said, hey let's turn the AC off . Thank you for your thoughtful input, Craigerrr

Missed OG low 1.051 instaed of 1.061, FG at 1.010 so ABV = 5.38%
This is a full percent lower than the first time I brewed this recipe.
Seems I need to work on my efficiency.

Missed OG low 1.051 instaed of 1.061, FG at 1.010 so ABV = 5.38%
This is a full percent lower than the first time I brewed this recipe.
Seems I need to work on my efficiency.
What did you change this time?

As I am learning as I go, and still working on my process and calculations, there were likely a number of variables. For sures the yeast was different, I mashed with more water, and made a few adjustments to the grain bill. The next time I brew this recipe I will review my notes, process, ingredients, etc. from the 2 previous brews, and try and smooth this out. Chalking this up to learning for now, thanks for posting nosy.

Sage advice, thank you my Canadian brother. Go Oilers? You guys have to be better this year... right?

Well it would be hard for us to do worse.

As I am learning as I go, and still working on my process and calculations, there were likely a number of variables. For sures the yeast was different, I mashed with more water, and made a few adjustments to the grain bill. The next time I brew this recipe I will review my notes, process, ingredients, etc. from the 2 previous brews, and try and smooth this out. Chalking this up to learning for now, thanks for posting nosy.

Different yeast can definitely change things. Keep the notes though.

Back