Trub and hop bags burning on elements

The Green Man

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, after a break I'm back on the brew! I'm just thinking of changing my set up from basic stockpot with 7 litres boils to 20 litre batches.
My issue is do I go with the All-in-one, self contained pot with an element inside (and temp control panel), or just buy a bigger basic pot which is heated on a gas stove.
I am a BIAB-er. I have always done everything in the same pot (apart from fermenting), so trub from mashing gets boiled with everything else.
My question is this:
If I opt for a more sophisticated system with a temperature controlled heating element in the pot (I'm thinking specifically
'Klarstein Maischfest Mash Kettle Mash Tank 5 Pieces 1500/3000W 25l LCD Touch Stainless Steel') There is no false bottom on it will the trub burn on the element inside? I'm also wondering if my so far trusty tea bags that I use for my hops will also burn on the element too...

So far, my heat source has been outside the pot. OK, the bottom of the pot got hot, but it wasn't the actual heat source though...or am I over thinking it, as I have a tendency to do...;)

Anyway, Brewers, ideas and thoughts would be appreciated.

Well, after a break I'm back on the brew! I'm just thinking of changing my set up from basic stockpot with 7 litres boils to 20 litre batches.
My issue is do I go with the All-in-one, self contained pot with an element inside (and temp control panel), or just buy a bigger basic pot which is heated on a gas stove.
I am a BIAB-er. I have always done everything in the same pot (apart from fermenting), so trub from mashing gets boiled with everything else.
My question is this:
If I opt for a more sophisticated system with a temperature controlled heating element in the pot (I'm thinking specifically
'Klarstein Maischfest Mash Kettle Mash Tank 5 Pieces 1500/3000W 25l LCD Touch Stainless Steel') There is no false bottom on it will the trub burn on the element inside? I'm also wondering if my so far trusty tea bags that I use for my hops will also burn on the element too...

So far, my heat source has been outside the pot. OK, the bottom of the pot got hot, but it wasn't the actual heat source though...or am I over thinking it, as I have a tendency to do...;)

Anyway, Brewers, ideas and thoughts would be appreciated.
Hey great to see you posting again. I use a gas burner currently to boil my keggle Biab style. Im guessing same principles would apply as soon as there is sugar in the brew water keep all BIAB materials away from heat source. I bet there will be some scorching on the element of some kind if its immersed in the wort especially if the element surface area is small... but i have no personal experience with electric brewing im eyeballing this option in the near future just gathering knowledge on the subject like you. So will be great to hear the feedback you get on this thread!

I use big pots and induction heating and it works just fine. I, too, don't know how you'd avoid scorching on the elements - the bottom of my pan is at boiling, as is the bottom of a pan heated with gas, the exception being the bit of surface under forming bubbles of steam. The electric element would be more heat concentrated into a smaller area.... I would think scorching, particularly of mash, would be a problem with most electrically heated rigs.

Cheers fellas. I think some scorching is inevitable. Not sure whether this will impact taste or not though. I believe there is a metal mesh insert which should keep the mash out of contact with the element. I reckon you'd have to give it a quick wash and then put it back in for the boil. This would then keep hop bags from also burning on the elements.
This particular kettle has temperature control so it would be very handy. But, definitely much cheaper to go with a big pot...
If I do invest, I'll let you guys know how I get on.

Back