Administrator
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
It was so hot in Europe (still is)!
The lagers were awesome.
IMG_3372.jpg

Yes indeed they are! I lived there for eight years and still can close my eyes and imagine the flavor of Kirner Pils, pretty much my favorite. The area I lived in now has a microbrewery built in an old monastery, competing well with the wines on the Mosel River, serving the typical four German beers.

great! That smile says it all. :D

If you're missing it and I'm sure you are fire up my Landschaft Helles. I'm sure to bring back memories it's a nice authentic German lager.

I just fined my Oktoberfest Helles. It's pretty clear already, will be a danged good beer once packaged and carbed! It's for a party - I may hate giving it away.

Yes indeed they are! I lived there for eight years and still can close my eyes and imagine the flavor of Kirner Pils, pretty much my favorite. The area I lived in now has a microbrewery built in an old monastery, competing well with the wines on the Mosel River, serving the typical four German beers.
What microbrewery is that?

Cheers from Germany

Yet another reason to go back.... Do you know if it's still independent or if someone has snapped it up? It was the loveliest, very bitter Pils, I'd pass up a bunch of Bitburger signs to find a Kneipe that served it.... It's regional - Hunsrueck, Mosel, Saar area. I checked the website, still a Privatbrauerei.... Kind of amazing, given German beer consolidation! And lots more varieties than I remember. Yes, yet another reason to visit my old stomping ground....

Yup, surprisingly enough, looks to have avoided being assimilated....

I could give you the recipe and process for that Weihenstephaner ;)

I know brewers who trained there. But please do.
As do I ;)

92/8 pils/carahell single addition @ 60 to about 20ibu
Soft water, flawless fermentation. Natural carbonation.

It's less about the recipe more about the process.
W is a low oxygen brewhouse, and the only way to emulate low oxygen flavors ( soft fresh lingering malt) is the be very diligent about HSA. along with the cold side. That means purging all vessels and lines with N2, and sealing vessels and blocking o2 from all hot side process along with cold.

This will make a very bright (no HSA orange to the wort or beer) beer, with fresh grain flavors ( like chewing on fresh malt). Cold side o2 and handling is just as important. Ferment cool ( I ferment at 45f) with a boat load of healthy yeast, and i spund with 1% extract remaining. They are bunging as well.

Here is my house helles which is based off W original (92/8, etc):
B0bMbgg.jpg

Helles is indeed my "desert island" beer - if I were stranded on a desert island with only one beer for the rest of my life, helles. Our local brewery's former head brewer was a Weihenstephan alum and I learned a lot about helles from him. I've gotten mine to good, not yet great, but I keep closing in. Next tweak is to switch from Hallertau to Saaz hops, and as you say, eliminate any hop additions after 30 mins.

Back