Back to Craft

Joe Callender

Trial Member
Reaction score
Introducing myself...

My name is Joe but from 2012 - 2015 I blogged, authored a few stories for ASN, and educated attendees at beer festivals as Craft Beer Coach. My homebrewing triumph was brewing a very quaffable Rauchbier as my first homebrew attempt as a member of the Brooklyn Brewsers homebrew club. The last bottle of it was five years old and it aged very well.

As I got closer to 2015, the craft beer scene was getting harder and harder to keep up with. Mentally I was not finished with the scene but opted to back away for health reasons, mainly increasing intolerance to alcohol via headaches and hangovers. Since then I've resigned myself to session products on occasion.

I'm really excited about the rising non-alcohol craft beer scene as I really miss the flavors and the atmosphere of craft beer bars and tasting rooms. I am restarting my homebrew efforts by exclusively brewing very low alcohol and NA brews on a Brewie+. I love smoked brews so this will definitely be a style that I will attempt at some point.

I've tried NA products from every US nonalcoholic brewery I am aware of (Wellbeing, Athletic, Surreal, Bravus) and the category looks very promising.

I look forward to sharing this journey with you.

Joe Callender

Welcome, we've got a pretty wide range of skillsets here and as long as you're not a tool about it your experience is definitely going to be welcome.

Brewing a LA smoked beer seems like a formidable challenge. I hear you on cutting back; been trying to brew more while drinking less myself. I think about tasting rather than drinking. Welcome to the forum.

Best of luck on your journey to LA and NA. I hear ya about the craft NAs. Athletic Upside Dawn is a staple in my house and I just had "Nah" Helles from Bauhaus and it was surprisingly good. Looking at formulating some recipes and procedures for similar reasons myself. I hope to share my experiences on here soon.

Introducing myself...

My name is Joe but from 2012 - 2015 I blogged, authored a few stories for ASN, and educated attendees at beer festivals as Craft Beer Coach. My homebrewing triumph was brewing a very quaffable Rauchbier as my first homebrew attempt as a member of the Brooklyn Brewsers homebrew club. The last bottle of it was five years old and it aged very well.

As I got closer to 2015, the craft beer scene was getting harder and harder to keep up with. Mentally I was not finished with the scene but opted to back away for health reasons, mainly increasing intolerance to alcohol via headaches and hangovers. Since then I've resigned myself to session products on occasion.

I'm really excited about the rising non-alcohol craft beer scene as I really miss the flavors and the atmosphere of craft beer bars and tasting rooms. I am restarting my homebrew efforts by exclusively brewing very low alcohol and NA brews on a Brewie+. I love smoked brews so this will definitely be a style that I will attempt at some point.

I've tried NA products from every US nonalcoholic brewery I am aware of (Wellbeing, Athletic, Surreal, Bravus) and the category looks very promising.

I look forward to sharing this journey with you.

Joe Callender
Sounds like a venture that you should surely consider keeping notes on! Might not be a bad idea to blog your journey in brewing NA beer! I'm excited for you! Welcome to BrewersFriend and the forums.

BTW -- Which brewery do you feel makes the best NA beer right now? I'll certainly try your recommendation!

Sounds like a venture that you should surely consider keeping notes on! Might not be a bad idea to blog your journey in brewing NA beer! I'm excited for you! Welcome to BrewersFriend and the forums.

BTW -- Which brewery do you feel makes the best NA beer right now? I'll certainly try your recommendation!
Woah - I just realized I picked up on a really old introduction! I hope you've found some success in your pursuit.

Back