Cost of yer own against kits

Caley

Trial Member
Reaction score
I want to move away from kits and start with grains. I have just followed a recipe and is working out at £44.42. Am i doing something wrong. Or is that usually the cost, or is it because buy my first. Just for tgat price I coukd get two packs and make good solid beers from that. Advice appreciated.

Haha. You'll get a different cost from every brewer here.

That would depend on the recipe. Ingredients for a simple cream ale would cost considerably less than those for Russian Imperial Stout. If you want good answers here, or on any other forum, you need to be specific in what you're asking.

I want to move away from kits and start with grains. I have just followed a recipe and is working out at £44.42. Am i doing something wrong. Or is that usually the cost, or is it because buy my first. Just for tgat price I coukd get two packs and make good solid beers from that. Advice appreciated.
Depends on how you buy. You're at about my average cost per batch in dollars, I can do a lot better if I buy bulk grain and hops, which also limits (and focuses) my brewing. Yeast is rather pricey - if you can use dry yeast or even repitch yeast that'll save you a few quid. Also, the bigger the recipe, the more exotic the ingredients the more the batch will cost.

The buggest cost savings you'll find when you buy the grain in bulk, particularly the grains you can buy in 50lb sacks.

If I pick up grain just for 1 brew at my LHBS I expect to pay around $1.50-$2/lb of base base malt and $2.5-$5/lb for specialty (avg around $25/5gal batch) but bulk sacks often come out to half of less of the per pound cost. YMMV

45 pounds = $58 american ..that seems like quite a bit. My avg cost is about $25 per 5gal batch including yeast.

Just did the math out of curiosity, $0.70 per 500ml bottle at that price I should be drinking more :D :))

Hi
As the previous guys have said, it depends on the recipe. I brew a lot of Punk IPA and there’s a lot of hops there with the dry hopping! I saved by using pellets from the Cross my loof brewery off eBay ( search for a user called pugsonmydoorstep aka Steven ). Also, if you buy a specific kit from The Malt Miller there’ll be none left over and they’re in the £12-£18 range.

I find hops way more expensive than grains.

Buying in bulk saves $. Reusing yeast for a few generations saves $ brewing simple recipies with 3 grains 2 hops saves $. Ive been brewing session ales/lagers lately all below 5% they are cheap brews apart from the hops ive thrown at some.

Back