Starter from batch's wort?

Blackmuse

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Curious if:

Anyone ever make a batch of wort - say 5 gallons and then pulled a liter or two of that wort to use as a starter overnight for that batch?

So, while the wort sits overnight to cool, a part of that wort is working on making the starter to be pitched in the am - say 8-12 hours later?

Not specifically that way, but I use leftover wort for starters all the time.

Sometimes I'll intentionally make a larger batch and then leave 6-10L of wort in the mash tun and boil that separately without hops. Then I freeze it in 1L plastic bottles.

Suits no chill brewing beautifully , I have frozen excess as well and since my ferments nearly always are strong , clean and consistent it seems to be working very well

Not a bad idea beats paying 12$ kg for DME! But im a lazy ass :cool:

I've done it both ways depending on what I have available.

it's the same wort you'll be fermenting with, it's actually better than dme just a little more work

Im using this method with a no chill brew i did a few days ago. I pinched 1lt of wort fermented then decanted that now stepped it up again with 2.5lt of fresh cubed wort will add this starter back tomorrow arvo.

A couple years ago a local brew pub made a starter out of their pre-boil wort. I thought that was a great idea till I realized that you're throwing yeast into non-sanitized (not boiled) wort.

A couple years ago a local brew pub made a starter out of their pre-boil wort. I thought that was a great idea till I realized that you're throwing yeast into non-sanitized (not boiled) wort.
Viable if they have a colony of yeast and bacteria, think a sourdough starter. No good for single-strains.

I always boil for at least 15 minutes before taking some for a starter, timing is everything too easy to forget

I just boil mine separately afterward. Dirties another pot but I don't have to keep track then.

Yes all mine are in flasks ive got a 1lt and 3 lt so start in 1lt crash decant then pitch this into 3lt flask and let her Go!

Back