First time kegger....confused

Adrian Gresores

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just bought a kegerator and have decided to jump into kegging my beer. I've figured out a lot of the process, but I still have a couple of questions.

First, I've figured out the pressure I need for forced carbonation. I set it on the regulator and leave the beer in the kegerator. However, frequently, when I come back after some time, the pressure on the regulator is significantly higher than what I had left it at. What's going on? Is this normal or a malfunction? Should I somehow compensate for it initially, or do I just have to come back often to readjust the screw?

Second, once the beer is fully carbonated (and I'm still not sure how you know when that is), should I just shut off the gas line to hold the pressure in the keg stable? Do you then just open the gas line at serving pressure (10 - 12 psi) when you are ready to serve a beer? Or do you keep the gas lines open at all times, but at the lower, serving pressure?

Thanks.

Others may chime in with better advice as I don't really have any. My regulator pressure holds rock steady to whatever I set it at. Once I'm carb'd to desired level, I dial my pressure back. to about 6-8 psi. That seems to be my happy place.
I burst carb similar to what's posted here: http://brulosophy.com/methods/carbonation-methods/
I go 35# for about 36(ish) hours. Relieve pressure. and set it to my desired pour pressure ( 6-8 psi). Works great for me.

Not sure I understand. If you have the valve on the tank fully opened, and set your regulator to a given pressure, it should retain that pressure. Have you monitored the pressure for a few minutes after setting? If there is a restriction the pressure may not stabilize right away, but if it remains the same for several minutes and then changes over a longer period of time, suspect a faulty regulator.

As a side note. if you disconnect the regulator from the tank and look down the bore of the tube going to the regulator, you'll see a brassy, crystal looking pill. If it is fouled the pressure may rise very slowly. If it appears to be fouled on the tank side you can remove and carefully clean it and reinsert in the opposite direction.

yes after the high carb setting purge the keg then lower the gage for drinking, and on that note it's good to have check valves on your keg lines to prevent beer from shooting back into to your gage

I just bought a kegerator and have decided to jump into kegging my beer. I've figured out a lot of the process, but I still have a couple of questions.

First, I've figured out the pressure I need for forced carbonation. I set it on the regulator and leave the beer in the kegerator. However, frequently, when I come back after some time, the pressure on the regulator is significantly higher than what I had left it at. What's going on? Is this normal or a malfunction? Should I somehow compensate for it initially, or do I just have to come back often to readjust the screw?

Second, once the beer is fully carbonated (and I'm still not sure how you know when that is), should I just shut off the gas line to hold the pressure in the keg stable? Do you then just open the gas line at serving pressure (10 - 12 psi) when you are ready to serve a beer? Or do you keep the gas lines open at all times, but at the lower, serving pressure?

Thanks.
For what it's worth, I keg and apply 10 - 12 psi and it takes about 7 - 9 days to carbonate. I leave mine connected and the pressure stays the same. I can't help you with a reason for the rising pressure other than you may have a faulty regulator. I'm sure others here with more experience than me will be able help.

First: Yes this has happened to me before. It can take some playing with. Is it A LOT higher or just 2-4 psi? After the beer swallows some of the co2 you may find that it had dropped some. Opposite of what you are seeing now. If you have a pressure relief valve on the keg then just release some co2 after nudging your valve screw back. You'll get the hang of your tank soon enough.

Second: leaving it on Serving pressure is what I do but you run the risk of draining the tank if you have a small leak somewhere. It has happened to me before.... More than once... Grr. Yet I still practice it as I hate having to open the keg and turn on the tank each time I want a beer. - Feels like it goes against the idea of having a kegerator! Lol

The choice is yours on number 2 really.

Just a remote suggestion there maybe some crap stuck in your diaphragm in your regulator guage. Was watching a.kegking snippit the otherday on replacing rubber diaphragm after some time this may need replacing if your preasure is all over the shop.​

Reactions: Aub

Back