DP:0 (Min:30+)

Greg.lynes

Trial Member
Reaction score
Ok where has this come from? I am sure it was never there before.
How do I use it and what is it indicating as the "ZERO" IS in red.

They recently added a feature that calculates the diastatic power for your grain bill (are there enough enzymes to convert the starch to sugar). Haven't checked out the new feature yet, but it's only applicable for all grain or partial mashes. Not sure it it shows for other types of brewing

I think this feature doesn't work with custom fermentables. When I use a custom pale ale malt I get 0 DP, when I use a generic American Pale Ale I get 120 DP in a recipe I'm working on. The custom pale ale has 37 PPG, 3.5L, mashed checked.

When you add a custom fermentable, you'll have to add the DP also (the number from the manufacturer) or else it defaults to 0. We are working on adding the 'box' for that right now.

When you add a custom fermentable, you'll have to add the DP also (the number from the manufacturer) or else it defaults to 0. We are working on adding the 'box' for that right now.

Hi Yooper, what happened with this?

I have many custom fermentables and I can not use them because I can not enter the DP value.

Hi Yooper, what happened with this?

I have many custom fermentables and I can not use them because I can not enter the DP value.
You can use them , just the software won't calculate the diastic power of your grainbill .
Modern malts are very well converted already and provide sufficient power to convert themselves and a quantity of spec or unmalted grain

You can use them , just the software won't calculate the diastic power of your grainbill .
Modern malts are very well converted already and provide sufficient power to convert themselves and a quantity of spec or unmalted grain
I did the math a while back on some of the base malts I have access to, and I could go down to around 1/3 of the grist as a base malt and still be able to convert. That's around 60% specialty malts / adjuncts you could use, which seems extremely rare and/or not a good idea anyway.
That's not to say it's ok that theres a bug, but that your mash is probably ok for all practical purposes

7/27/2018 - It seems that the extracts are preloaded with ZERO Diastatic Power. No matter what extract I select, the DP is at zero; until I add grain (which does have DP - like Vienna, etc...)

7/27/2018 - It seems that the extracts are preloaded with ZERO Diastatic Power. No matter what extract I select, the DP is at zero; until I add grain (which does have DP - like Vienna, etc...)

Correct- extracts have 0 diastatic power, and are not mashed.

Correct- extracts have 0 diastatic power, and are not mashed.
I’ve searched Breiss website and saw that. I’m guessing that the extract starches were already converted to sugars during the extract process. I emailed Breiss about that. Now I know why my early batches were so sweet. The Breiss site did show that their grains are mashed before dehydrating from 14% to 80% malt.

I’ve searched Breiss website and saw that. I’m guessing that the extract starches were already converted to sugars during the extract process. I emailed Breiss about that. Now I know why my early batches were so sweet. The Breiss site did show that their grains are mashed before dehydrating from 14% to 80% malt.

Extract is mashed from grain, and then either spray dried (dry malt extract), or condensed (liquid malt extract). It shouldn't be excessively sweet if the proper amount of water to rehydrate it is used.

Back