Bottling day

okoncentrerad

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've been bottling all my beers so far and my usual process lately has been transfering the beer from the fermentor to a "bottling bucket" (just another fermenting vessle actually).

I add priming solution to the bottling bucket, transfer the beer to this bucket via a spigot and tube from the fermentor. Finally, from the bottling bucket I attach a bottling wand on the buckets spigot and fill the bottles from this.

However, lately I've noticed that I can see air/bubbles in the bottling wand as the beer is being transfered to the bottles. I assume this is not a good thing? Is there something I can do about this? (Apart from start to keg.... I've been thinking about it but it seems to be quite a hassle...) Those of you who bottle, do you have any tips and tricks to share?

From time to time I get an off-flavour in my beers that I suspect might have something to do with this.

No idea, wish I had useful input but I almost never bottle.

Make sure the tube is tightly on. If the tube is loose air can get in.

Reactions: Aub
I stopped bottling about two months ago, but I bottled a lot before that. My process was similar to yours except our use an auto syphon with 5 feet of tubing and the bottling wand on that. I never had any issues with bubbles, and I have the freedom of not having to hold the bottle under the spigot/wand. I would also purge every bottle with CO2 before adding beer as well as after adding the beer

If you aren't siphoning, you have no negative pressure, so there is no air being drawn in. The bubbles you're seeing is CO2 coming out of solution. The beer is warming and being disturbed. Two of the main reasons CO2 exits.

I've been bottling all my beers so far and my usual process lately has been transfering the beer from the fermentor to a "bottling bucket" (just another fermenting vessle actually).

I add priming solution to the bottling bucket, transfer the beer to this bucket via a spigot and tube from the fermentor. Finally, from the bottling bucket I attach a bottling wand on the buckets spigot and fill the bottles from this.

However, lately I've noticed that I can see air/bubbles in the bottling wand as the beer is being transfered to the bottles. I assume this is not a good thing? Is there something I can do about this? (Apart from start to keg.... I've been thinking about it but it seems to be quite a hassle...) Those of you who bottle, do you have any tips and tricks to share?

From time to time I get an off-flavour in my beers that I suspect might have something to do with this.
There's a tiny air leak somewhere. Likely not a problem.

Thanks guys...I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much, just suspected it could have something to do with the flavour I get from time to time on some bottles.

Thanks guys...I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much, just suspected it could have something to do with the flavour I get from time to time on some bottles.
Used to happen to me too id just put it down to "mustant if cleaned that one well enough or didnt rinse cleaner outta that one enough"

I attached a liquid out (ball lock) fitting to my bottling wand... fill a keg with priming solution and my beer... purge the keg... add 1lb of pressure... it works better than anything Iv'e used before... easy peasy

Back