OG too high, already added yeast.

geaux_brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am new to brewing and just started my second batch. I obviously have a lot to learn. Here is my issue. After boiling and transferring to my carbon, I added the water and took my hydrometer sample. However I did not take the reading until after I added the yeast. However, it is around 1.08 and is supposed to be around 1.065. I can’t really add any water in my carboy. Is the higher OG a major problem? How will it effect my beer if at all?

I am new to brewing and just started my second batch. I obviously have a lot to learn. Here is my issue. After boiling and transferring to my carbon, I added the water and took my hydrometer sample. However I did not take the reading until after I added the yeast. However, it is around 1.08 and is supposed to be around 1.065. I can’t really add any water in my carboy. Is the higher OG a major problem? How will it effect my beer if at all?
What yeast did you add and how much? How long has it been? Do you have more of the same yeast?

It might struggle a bit, but you'll probably be ok. Honestly I'd chalk it up to a learning experience and hope it turns out.

It might struggle a bit, but you'll probably be ok. Honestly I'd chalk it up to a learning experience and hope it turns out.
What would cause that? Steeping too long? I have the appropriate amount of water based off of the recipee.

To much sugar from somewhere. This was steeped grains with Liquid or dry extract?

What would cause that? Steeping too long? I have the appropriate amount of water based off of the recipee.
If anything it will create an ester profile but will probably be fine. You'll have a wee heavy. If you did all grain then the chances are your recipe was built off of a lower effeciency than you achieved.

To much sugar from somewhere. This was steeped grains with Liquid or dry extract?
It was an extract. It had liquid extract at beginning and dry malt at the end with about 10 minutes left of boil.

It’s been about 3 hours.
I doubt you have time to get out and get more this late in the day and chances are fermentation will be underway by tomorrow. Call it a learning experience. You can take a gravity reading on hot wort and plug it into the system here with a temperature correction. Handy. So next time you'll be sure to take one before you pitch. Honestly, I did the same once and the beer turned out awesome - I tend to like a little extra ester depending on the strain.

What temp are you fermenting at? Is it a Scottish Ale? An 80 shilling?

I doubt you have time to get out and get more this late in the day and chances are fermentation will be underway by tomorrow. Call it a learning experience. You can take a gravity reading on hot wort and plug it into the system here with a temperature correction. Handy. So next time you'll be sure to take one before you pitch. Honestly, I did the same once and the beer turned out awesome - I tend to like a little extra ester depending on the strain.

What temp are you fermenting at? Is it a Scottish Ale? An 80 shilling?
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/snow-plow-porter-recipe-kit

That was just one of the yeast options available.

With what it was supposed to be OG you must have gotten some extra sugars from somewhere. Maybe to much extract in the kit? Cause that's a lot of extra sugar.

It's definitely not going to kill you (probably) but it will probably end up pretty strong. If you don't have room in the carboy to top up more water.

I believe the answer to your question is this: The higher gravity will stress the yeast more and needs more oxygen but don't do anything now. If you need to reduce the gravity to your target, boil and cool some dechlorinated water. The way to figure out how much you need is to multiply your gravity (in points, the digits to the right of the decimal point) by the volume, then divide by the desired volume, then subtract the original volume. So it's 5x80/65, or 6.15 gallons. You would have to add 1.15 gallons of water to bring the gravity down to your target.

My recommendation? Let it go. You'll have a higher gravity beer and learn to do the calculations better next time.

First you have the Lag phase which is were the yeast start taking in nutrients ...and then the log phase were the yeast start going for it.
You did will to get 1.080 you would normally use a big starter around 2/3 litre with a stir plate if possible.
I would add some more yeast if slow ...... keep checking with a EBay refractometer £15.00.......

Keep as posted

Back