Spalt - The Hop Town

sbaclimber

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Visited Spalt yesterday!
Pretty cool to see the history of where all the Spalt hops used to come from (isn't really any production any more to speak of). Especially the tall houses where they used to dry the hops and the big one (last pic) where they were weighed and packed.

2018-07-18 17.17.12.jpg
2018-07-18 18.47.01.jpg
2018-07-18 17.15.25.jpg
2018-07-18 17.13.01.jpg
2018-07-18 17.18.51.jpg
2018-07-18 11.05.50.jpg
2018-07-18 18.51.00.jpg

Impressive looks like some old buildings. I see all them little doors all up the front of the building whats the GO with them?

On a trip to Germany we stayed in a house built in 1604. They build stuff to last over there.

Agreed. I remember driving through the Hallertau region, it was September and the trellises were everywhere. It's a bit disappointing to hear that Spalt is no longer producing much in the way of hops but it was rather inevitable, the last map I saw of German hop producing regions had the Spalt area as very, very tiny.

Nosybear said:
...the last map I saw of German hop producing regions had the Spalt area as very, very tiny.
that is pretty much what we saw. there are still a few fields around, but nothing like in the Hallertau region.
Haven't done the research yet, but also makes me suspect that the newer "spalt" varieties are genetic crosses with other varieties, but aren't actually directly out of the Spalt region.

Last edited:
Great photos thanks for sharing always wanted to visit Germany... I did spend a few weeks in Scandinavia a few years back.

Great photos thanks for sharing always wanted to visit Germany... I did spend a few weeks in Scandinavia a few years back.
thanks
as a beer lover, you can't go wrong visiting the franconia region of Germany. :)
my wife and I have definitely been talking about visiting scandanavia at some point (I have never been...) during this vacation, because it has been so hot here!

thanks
as a beer lover, you can't go wrong visiting the franconia region of Germany. :)
my wife and I have definitely been talking about visiting scandanavia at some point (I have never been...) during this vacation, because it has been so hot here!
Hot where you are? Or hot in "scandinavia"? I guess thats where I live, and it's a record breaking summer (and spring...), hot and dry as never before. Lots of forest fires going on here right now.

ha! actualy just heard that in the news this evening too, after I had posted...
So much for that idea I guess :-/

hot here too 102F heat index and this morning it was 92% humidity, had to use my wipers and it wasn't raining

Back