Whole leaf hops in eBIAB

Texas Ale Works

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hiya

Every week I am a bit close to getting the High Gravity 220v eBIAB system.

Trying to plan through the modifications and changes I will need to incorporate to make it fit my brewing style (been brewing for 10years now..wow!). After talking with Dave at High Gravity, I know there have been a few changes to the system over the ones that you can see on the YouTube videos...all SS camlocks, moved the temp probe from the lid to a port on the side of the kettle.

My idea is to move the temp probe either back to the lid (wort return) or to the bottom (wort out)using a SS "T" and then adding a "SpinCycle Submerged"
https://www.brewhardware.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SpinCycleSubmerge
where the temp probe was to create a whirlpool. I will also be adding a Edge Pickup dip tube
https://www.brewhardware.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Diptube_Edge
to help keep the plate chiller clean.

this long set up brings me to my question, I have a SS 400 micron Hop Basket from ArborFab, and I hope it fits - wont know until the kettle gets here - and I would like to use it with whole leaf hops, but not sure if they will work in it.

Any one have any experience in this area?
Thanks for your time

I have one and they are designed just for whole hops not pellets mine clogs so bad with pellets it never gets used

If the hop basket fits in it should work. They are for whole leaf hops. The whole leaf hops will soak up some of your wort so you might need to use more water.

I have the same one only mine is 6" round, only fill half way up and you'll be fine

not sure if that one is the exact size of mine, but I have already prepared myself to have to get a different one.
Like I said, I will install a whirlpool device, so that should help.

I really don't want to replace my plate chiller, but I might, it is the biggest reason for switching to whole hops

just pulled mine out of the gear bin, it is 6 inch diameter by 11 inches tall..... 300 micron

thinking I might get a new one, that is 8 inches thick..diameter.....

do you think 600 micron would work, or even just perforated SS

upload_2018-6-30_12-49-52.png

With whole leaf hops? I wouldn't think it would be a big deal. I've never tried a hop spider of any kind with whole leaf though.

This is my third time using this Hop spider. I have used it with whole cone hops twice now. This time I'm trying pellets.

Works great with the whole cone. That stuff is messy.

I used it as a strainer in the kettle for draining the wort from the mash tun. After the worlhoff just stick the hose in there and let her rip.

~Scott

This is my third time using this Hop spider. I have used it with whole cone hops twice now. This time I'm trying pellets.

Works great with the whole cone. That stuff is messy.

I used it as a strainer in the kettle for draining the wort from the mash tun. After the worlhoff just stick the hose in there and let her rip.

~Scott

thanks, that is just about the one I have, just a little bit longer...(TWSS)
I will most likely need to get a new one that reaches further into the pot and possible 8 inch diameter.
If I do, I will for sure move to the 600 micron mesh.

is it safe to assume that the perforated SS is to large, and will let to much crap into the kettle?

Back