Quick Water Requirements

MattSwanson

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I have a grain bill of 3.28kg and a starting mash thickness of 3.5L/kg. Why does the quick water requirements calculator tell me that my strike water is only 4.3L? This is on a grainfather system and the "strike" water should be closer to 11L. Cheers, Matt.

upload_2018-7-3_9-18-18.png

upload_2018-7-3_9-18-53.png

upload_2018-7-3_9-20-55.png

Is the Grandfather a full volume mash system?

in the Mash screen it has it right, 12.4l this should account for losses of 1l.

in the quick water req, there may be an issues with how you have your equipment set up in your profile

Have you set up your equipment profile?
I have, I only have the one and it is the default and it is selected in the recipe. I blew the profile away and recreated it. Here's one with a grainbill of 5.26kg.
upload_2018-7-4_7-47-0.png

upload_2018-7-4_7-47-55.png

The profile is configured as follows:
Evaporation Rate: 4
Grain Absorption: 0.8
Hops Absorption: 0.005
Kettle Dead Space: 2
Misc Losses: 0
Cooling Shrinkage: 4
Chilling Method: Counterflow Chiller
Average Efficiency: 77
Default Mash Thickness: 3.5
Mash Water Unit: Quarts
Mash Tun Volume: 28
Mash Strike heat Loss: 0
Lauter Dead Space: 0
Hydrometer Temp: 20
Hydrometer Offset: 0
Wort Correction Factor: 1.04

Is the Grandfather a full volume mash system?

in the Mash screen it has it right, 12.4l this should account for losses of 1l.

in the quick water req, there may be an issues with how you have your equipment set up in your profile
It has 12.4L in the mash screen because I manually overrode it. I had to as the calculated value was way out for my water chemistry etc. I used the grainfather calculator to come up with the right numbers and plugged them in for the mash and also the water chemistry. The grainfather is not a full mash system. You mash with a percentage of your water and then fly sparge at the end of the mash. It's possible that me overriding the numbers has had an effect but I don't see what other option I have given the numbers being returned to me. Cheers.

there is a lot of settings in the equipment profile that directly relate to the quick water menu I would play around with that first

there is a lot of settings in the equipment profile that directly relate to the quick water menu I would play around with that first
The profile I have worked fine. This is a new event - it's only started happening recently. The equipment profile settings are correct for the Grainfather system - other people use them with no issues (as far as I know). Simple maths of grain weight x mash thickness gives a result that is very very close to Grainfather's own calculator. I seem to be getting a mash thickness of just over 1L/kg no matter what I put in as values. I'm tempted to print all my recipes out and start clean - nothing I do with the equipment profile seems to make a difference.

I see, they are working on the water calculators now and making a bunch of changes so stay tuned, Ill bring it up and at the same time you can export all of your recipes either as an html or xml file for a back up, the html files print better by the way

Matt, can you post the the recipe view url? Also, do you get the same result when you look at your recipe on on https://beta.brewersfriend.com ?
Ok, I'm new to this so I haven't shared recipes before (at least until I can confirm they are Ok). I have shared one on the beta site at https://beta.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/651559/munich-madness-23l. Grain quantity is 4.95kg, quick water calc has a strike number of 8.9L at 3.5L/Kg mash thickness. The same recipe on the production site is at https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/651559. There are others if you need them.

And just for my information, do I need to make them public or can you access with just the link?

this may not be your issue but worth knowing, I happened to be stumped the other day on the same thing and figured it out, if you change your profile any recipe you have saved as a brew session has to be rebuilt in edit mode and it will pull in the correct changes to the water requirement form

We pushed a fix out today- can you try again and see if it's resolved?
Hi, still the same when I go to the recipes linked above. I did see an interesting error when I went to the beta site. It claimed my recipe was in metric but my profile wasn't and it provided non-metric results. I checked my profile and confirmed it was metric and when I tried again it worked as expected (apart from the calculations which don't seem to have changed). I wonder if metric/non-metric numbers are not being flagged correctly somewhere. I might try clearing my cache and see if that makes a difference. Cheers, Matt.

Hi, still the same when I go to the recipes linked above. I did see an interesting error when I went to the beta site. It claimed my recipe was in metric but my profile wasn't and it provided non-metric results. I checked my profile and confirmed it was metric and when I tried again it worked as expected (apart from the calculations which don't seem to have changed). I wonder if metric/non-metric numbers are not being flagged correctly somewhere. I might try clearing my cache and see if that makes a difference. Cheers, Matt.

Along with your profile you can change the units to Metic or US on the recipe itself. But it is possible that something isn't being converted somewhere, I'm looking in to it.

Along with your profile you can change the units to Metic or US on the recipe itself. But it is possible that something isn't being converted somewhere, I'm looking in to it.
I'll try converting and let you know. In the meantime I created a test recipe at https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/676131/test-recipe-only. Just a fake to do some testing and it provides no value whatsoever as the strike water - it's just blank - the total volume is sparge water. For this one I didn't put any values into the mash guidelines except temp/time/type so that the equipment profile should drive it (if I understand correctly). Cheers, Matt.

I changed both my profile and the recipe to US and got the following (had to change both or it complained about the profile and gave metric anyway).
upload_2018-7-10_14-25-3.png

so I just did a test and mine worked by going to the general settings and changing units then apply at the bottom , it stated that I just changed my units, I went to a recipe and quick water requirements and it changed everything to liters

so I just did a test and mine worked by going to the general settings and changing units then apply at the bottom , it stated that I just changed my units, I went to a recipe and quick water requirements and it changed everything to liters
Hi, yes mine changes the units - that's not the problem. The problem is the calculation is blank, zip, zero in this case and wrong in the other recipes. Like I said in an earlier post. I might print them all out and start again except a clean recipe using my profile and equipment profile has the issue so I'm not sure starting clean will fix it. Cheers.

This may be unrelated but I just tried to update my inventory. In the attached you can see that I have 750 Grams Brown Sugar ( to the left of the snapshot) - when I clicked on edit I get an amount of 750 Pounds - not Grams. So the form loaded with the wrong unit. Cheers, Matt.
upload_2018-7-11_14-54-30.png

Back