Looking for a Cider

thunderwagn

Trial Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a good easy house cider they brew? I've never really done a cider, but for some reason it has sounded really tasty to me and my daughter lately. Maybe it's the heat? Looking for something fairly basic. Not to sweet. Not puckering dry. Fairly low abv to enjoy in the pool and outside in the sun. I'd like to keg it and I may even start with a 2.5 - 3 gallon batch size to start.

My ciders are pretty basic stuff, but they go down easy and also easy to brew. I use apple juice, either concentrate or fresh, sometimes top it with cranberry juice or similar. Add nutrients, pectic enzyme and a cup of very strong black tea. Yeast of your choice, but wlp775 is my standard yeast. Primary fermentation 10 days then rack to secondary for 3 to 4 weeks. Cold crash and then prime like 2 vols co2 or similar... this will be dry cider, but a very nice sweetness comes if you add lactose in your priming solution, something like 80 grams per 4 liters.

Last edited:
ABV on these usually comes in at 4.5% since most juices contains that level of natural sugar, just add more sugar to get higher ABV.

I do two batches a year. Off season I get apple juice from trader Joe's. Add a cup (or two) of brown sugar. Fermentis Safcider is the yeast (although I have used champagne yeast). In October I get juice from a local orchard in paradise. They have cider apples. It is noticeably better. I believe it ferments out to 12%. Some people back sweeten it with artificial sweetener but I like it dry. Cider really benefits from racking for a while. The longer it sits the better it gits. Lol

I've been thinking about adding cactus pear juice but I can't source any. Had one at a cider house and it was delish.

Last edited:
Anyone have a good easy house cider they brew? I've never really done a cider, but for some reason it has sounded really tasty to me and my daughter lately. Maybe it's the heat? Looking for something fairly basic. Not to sweet. Not puckering dry. Fairly low abv to enjoy in the pool and outside in the sun. I'd like to keg it and I may even start with a 2.5 - 3 gallon batch size to start.

I use 5 gallons of apple juice from Sam's club and Red Star Montrachet yeast. 1/2 tsp each of DAP and Fermaid-K for a 5 gallon batch. No boil, just rinse and sanitize the cider bottles before opening. Ferment for a couple of weeks in primary and then secondary until clear. My last batch I added 6 oz. of Brewcraft blackberry flavoring that my LHBS sells and it turned out great. It will be dry if fermented with wine yeast. If you want a little residual sweetness try using Nottingham . I usually carb to about 12psi at 37 F.

I use 5 gallons of apple juice from Sam's club and Red Star Montrachet yeast. 1/2 tsp each of DAP and Fermaid-K for a 5 gallon batch. No boil, just rinse and sanitize the cider bottles before opening. Ferment for a couple of weeks in primary and then secondary until clear. My last batch I added 6 oz. of Brewcraft blackberry flavoring that my LHBS sells and it turned out great. It will be dry if fermented with wine yeast. If you want a little residual sweetness try using Nottingham . I usually carb to about 12psi at 37 F.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks Bob!

S-04 works well as a cider yeast in case you have some laying around.
I've used wine yeast - D47 - in meads and ciders to good results. It tends to be a very aromatic yeast, commonly used in German Reislings.

I just kegged a batch running from this recipe, no concentrate or lactic as my wife was happy with just juice and berries.

http://brulosophy.com/2017/12/14/bru-it-yourself-sparkling-hard-berry-cider/

Used Danstar Belle Saison yeast. Ooh I should lower the pressure on that keg when I get home today.

I just bought 2 cases of Sunripe apple juice from Costco. Whatever is cheap works though.

I just kegged a batch running from this recipe, no concentrate or lactic as my wife was happy with just juice and berries.

http://brulosophy.com/2017/12/14/bru-it-yourself-sparkling-hard-berry-cider/

Used Danstar Belle Saison yeast. Ooh I should lower the pressure on that keg when I get home today.

I just bought 2 cases of Sunripe apple juice from Costco. Whatever is cheap works though.

Well, my daughter has chosen this brulosophy cider to be brewed up. I'll be getting it in the fermenter next weekend and kegged up for her 21st birthday which is Halloween.

Back