Oxygen in FV - Day 1

MisfitBrewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I’ve poked around on here and didn’t find anything specific but based on what I can gather.

Having your airlock or in my case carboy bung connected to blow off hose completely pop off during the first day or so not cause much concern as far as oxygen exposure?

Brewed a pale ale and pitched us05 last night and left for work this morning so 14-18 hours have passed and I did not notice that the whole bung attaches to blow off tube had popped off.

Once I put the hung back on the FV it immediately began to bubble in my gallon jug full of sanitizer. So fermentation is vigorous and Krausen is present.

Any need to worry here as far as oxygen exposure?

Last edited:
Not really. Co2 is heavier than oxygen, so that's what's sitting right on top of your beer as it's fermenting.
RDWHAHB

As J McNamara said if it was fermenting that hard CO2 is heavier than O2 and will create a blanket on top of your beer and push any O2 out of the fermenter or block it from coming in all together

Sweet! That was my assumption from what I had gathered from other posts. Guess I just wanted/needed affirmation. Thanks guys!

Update: Blow off tube/Bung combo was not not working. It would pop off after 10 min or so.

Had to go with the good ole airlock. Not worried about the bubble build up on the outside

But I feel like this might pop off too.. luckily it’s in a chest freezer by itself at 68.

Back