New country brewer

Cntyview brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey Homebrewers, recently upgraded from a keggle gas fired system to 20 gal all electric w/Herms it's like starting all over brewing again. Went from cam locks to tri-clamps, this system has a imerission chiller I hate that circulates from boil to whirlpool that can not have and hop trub or it plugs up. I have Stout Tanks but no trub dam or screen in boil kettle need to figure this out. I have 2 conical, 1 blichman, one Stout, the Blichman has the corney lid to add hops love it, Stout only has blow off port, thinking to use only as bright tank..this system is like learning to brew over again, recipes that were dialed in on old system don't work out the same, anyone have similar issues? Thanks Dave

Definitely! When I went to my HERMS (all-electric), everything changed for me. I had more issues with sparging, and boil off, and figuring out my volumes. Once I dialed it in though, it's been great for years with no variations. It takes some trial and error to get to know the system well.

Definitely! When I went to my HERMS (all-electric), everything changed for me. I had more issues with sparging, and boil off, and figuring out my volumes. Once I dialed it in though, it's been great for years with no variations. It takes some trial and error to get to know the system well.
Thanks Yooper, I do like the Herms, after circulation and sparse, my verlougf conversion was down to 1.003 at last running. I could t get that good with the keggle,sparse even at 120 mins.

I have a 20 gallon herms and I'm dialed in for my system, I also whirlpool and fly sparge and use more water than needed for a couple of reasons, so for a 12 gallon batch I normally use about 10 to 12 gallons of mash water then fill the water back up in the HLT to at least 12 more or to cover the coils, I don't want to run out fly sparging so I dont measure the sparge water at all, I make a second runnings for either a light beer or for yeast starters with the rest, I also chill through my herms coil so I have have a little waste setting in the pipes, you'll just have to work backwards for your finished amount then whats left in your system and bottom of boil kettle, I personally mark my boil kettle site glass accounting for the losses to the carboys, making the brew day easier after drinking a few lol

Congrats on the switch! I’m still running a propane keggle system. Welcome to the forum. Cheers :)

Back