Cocoa nibs

Wortboy

Trial Member
Reaction score
I've scored 4 oz. of cocoa nibs, but I've never used them before. I was thinking of making a chocolate porter. What is the best way to utilize them in a beer. Thanks for the help.

I put them in after primary ferment. Let them soak for a few days to bring out the flavor

In the boil with 5 mins to go. The flavor isn't volatile and hot wort extracts the flavor well. Generally about an ounce in 5 gallons is a good place to start. Use more if you want more cocoa flavor. Add some vanilla at packaging to get a real chocolate flavor.

I've scored 4 oz. of cocoa nibs, but I've never used them before. I was thinking of making a chocolate porter. What is the best way to utilize them in a beer. Thanks for the help.
As you're about to see there is a bunch of ways to do it! I have made several chocolate porters and a chocolate stout using cacao nibs - I soak them in a touch of vodka overnight in a covered bowl and then add them to the secondary and rack on top. However, if you aren't one to use a secondary fermentor then dumping them in after primary fermentation is done would work just as well.

I've never done it in the boil like Nosybear but would definitely consider it! (I agree with the vanilla addition too!)

Back