Hop Absorption

ScottytheBrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
This is my first time using the desktop version of BF and I'm brewing an American IPA in my 30L/8 gal setup. the BF calculator says I'm going to lose 12 litres (3 gal) of wort to the hops. I'm only using 80g (3 oz) of pellet hops so this seems massively excessive. Can any of you kind people suggest a realistic value so I can better calculate my water requirements I plan to bag the hops anyway so I'll sacrifice some bitterness but contain the mess to a degree.

Thanks

Scott

This is my first time using the desktop version of BF and I'm brewing an American IPA in my 30L/8 gal setup. the BF calculator says I'm going to lose 12 litres (3 gal) of wort to the hops. I'm only using 80g (3 oz) of pellet hops so this seems massively excessive. Can any of you kind people suggest a realistic value so I can better calculate my water requirements I plan to bag the hops anyway so I'll sacrifice some bitterness but contain the mess to a degree.

Thanks

Scott
Hops should soak up about 0.005 l/g, so you should lose about 0.4 l to the hops. Check your equipment profile: I believe you've used the quart/ounce setting of 0.15 quarts/ounce.

That's fixed it. Thanks mate. I was wondering where all the water was going. 0.4 litres is much more respectable and I don't need a bigger kettle either.

Back