My other hobby . . .

ChicoBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Woodworking. Made some bottle crates. I don't bottle unless I want to keep it racked for a while (mostly keg).

20180311_135833.jpg
20180528_182911.jpg
20180528_130825.jpg

Last edited:
Made six from scraps in the shop. I have a sketchup model if interested.

Very nice, wood is good. They look good and will stack too. Just wondering if the dividers are tall enough to put empties upsidedown? When stored for longer periods at a time it keeps the dust and bugs out so they are easier to prep for filling.

That's what I do, drink rinse put in upside down repeat :) On bottle day I line the bottom with paper towels and let them drain upside down after sanitizing. The dividers were designed to show the labels, a feature I never use because I don't label. I also add a little card holder on the end in case I want to put something in there to remind me what's in the bottles. A feature I have also not yet used. I have six of these so far. I also plan to make some for 22 oz bottles. SWMBO loves them because she hates the boxes (and so do I).

There are a lot of cuts in these. It helps to have a big saw and a stacked dado for the ends. Gang them together for one pass. The stacked dado is not tall enough for the dividers so it takes two passes through the 10 inch blade. I also put a screw through the top divider because that's what I grab to pick them up.

20180531_063459.jpg

Heck yeah Chico! My only 2c would.be.to give.it a seal to keep out the spilt beer water whatever?

I h8 paint brushes LOL.

Seriously, maybe some spray on poly. I put scrap 1/4 inch maple ply on the bottom. It's finished on one side. That's where the most wet goes.

Nosy - I'm honestly planning an exit strategy from my high stress I.T. job. Time to retire soon. Thinking about crates, boxes, lawn furniture planters, water features and whirly gigs at farmers markets LOL. Leave the stress to the young guys.

I h8 paint brushes LOL.

Seriously, maybe some spray on poly. I put scrap 1/4 inch maple ply on the bottom. It's finished on one side. That's where the most wet goes.

Nosy - I'm honestly planning an exit strategy from my high stress I.T. job. Time to retire soon. Thinking about crates, boxes, lawn furniture planters, water features and whirly gigs at farmers markets LOL. Leave the stress to the young guys.
I'm not far away from it either. I started thinking of an exit strategy that would pay me to make, taste and drink beer but the plan still isn't completely hatched.

And when it comes to paint brushes, it burns, it freezes....

Made six from scraps in the shop. I have a sketchup model if interested.
Don't want to intrude in your business but I would appreciate a look at a sketchup model. I have a small woodshop I could pop a few of those out for myself and I do dislike the deteriorating cardboard boxes we are using some of now.

No problem sir. This is a hobby not a business LOL.

I have attached two models one for half inch stock and the other for 3/4.

Attachments

• bottle crate three quarter.zip
    631.3 KB · Views: 199
  • bottle crate half inch.zip
    602.3 KB · Views: 160
After staring at the model last night I had an epiphany. Instead of cutting the notches on the ends with a dado stack why not just glue up some thinner pieces.

Advantages:
  • Thinner stock which is cheaper and less prone to warping and cupping
  • More Accurate (all of the strips are the same size making the joinery perfect)
Disadvantage:
  • More glue-up (need more clamps)
  • Can't use plywood
I'll make them that way for my next run.

bottle crate three quarter v2.jpg

Attachments

• bottle crate half inch v2.zip
    455.5 KB · Views: 161
  • bottle crate three quarter v2.zip
    437.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
nice fish, just tuning up my boat motor today what poundage is that?

You have your Carharts on backward. ;)

I make soap, and lots of it. I also hunt and fish and do other 'foraging' type of things like collect mushrooms. I make wine from fruits I grow, or that I find wild. I do non-motorized water sports as well as relax on my pontoon boat too. I"m pretty busy, come to think of it!

I've always been interested in wood working, but don't have the tools or the knowledge so I'm jealous of those who do have that ability!

Back