Hop Schedule Interpretation

Tdredlegs

Trial Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

I have a question about reading a hop schedule in a recipe.

The first part shows to add the first amount to the boil for 60 minute. That is pretty self explanatory. The next round says whirlpool at 180 F - 30 min.

I can think of a few different ways to interpret this. Which option is the right one?

A. Let it sit after flame out until the temp hits 180, then add the hops for 30 min, then chill to pitching temp

B. At flame out, chill immediately to 180, stop and add the hops for 30 min, then chill to pitching temp

C. At flameout, add hops until it chills to 180 or 30 min, whichever is first, then chill to pitching temp

If the answer is either A or B, when letting them sit for 30 min at 180, does it need to stay at 180, or is that just the temp at which it’s ok to add hops?

Thanks!

when you start to boil then at the end of the boil at so called 0, chill until it reaches 180 then add the whirlpool hops and whirlpool for that amount of time
At the whirlpool step, am I maintaining 180, or just letting it go down to whatever in the 30 minutes of whirlpool hops before fully chilling?

Usually you would start the whirlpool at 180 and add the hops. Then go for 30 min and whatever it cools down to it cools down to. Don't need to try to keep it 180

Usually you would start the whirlpool at 180 and add the hops. Then go for 30 min and whatever it cools down to it cools down to. Don't need to try to keep it 180
Awesome, thanks for the help!

Back