Refractometer advice please

Chris in Spain

Trial Member
Reaction score
Wondered if anyone has experience of these devices and any advice to give regarding their effectiveness. I've just done a 1 gallon stout and lost a fair bit of wort with the hydrometer readings. I'm planning to do other small batch brews and have read conflicting stuff on the internet about refractometers.
Thanks

Wondered if anyone has experience of these devices and any advice to give regarding their effectiveness. I've just done a 1 gallon stout and lost a fair bit of wort with the hydrometer readings. I'm planning to do other small batch brews and have read conflicting stuff on the internet about refractometers.
Thanks
You just have to remember that a refractometer needs a correction once alcohol is present and there’s a handy refractometer tool on this site for that. It will definitely save on wort loss vs a standard hydrometer, but a standard hydrometer doesn’t need correction with alcohol present.

Hydrometer measures sugar density and as alcohol is being produced, fermentable sugar density decreases, whereas a Refractometer measures light refraction and the presence of alcohol affects the reading.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. I'm sure I will get used to the correct method for taking and interpreting readings. It's not long ago that I was totally puzzled by hydrometer readings! Reassuring to know that they are actually used.

Refractometers are great. I should get around to learning how to use it with FG.

Back