Hello from the UK

mechamaniaboy

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I thought I'd better introduce myself. I'm 55 this year and I've been brewing on and off for 30+ years, the latter half of which has been mainly all grain BIAB. It got really exciting for me the last 3 years which have been proper all grain 3 vessel brewing thanks to the guys at Brewdog for their inspiration and the fantastic recipes they create!
Next steps is to finish my stainless conical fermenter made from Alfa Lavall milk churns and cellar to drink in. Happy days!

cheers mate. that alfa lavall milk churns aint them ones i see on Ebay from china?

Hi Trialben, thanks for the welcome! I've attached a photo of the churns I've got, as you said they're off eBay and cost around 30 gbp. They're either 304 or 316 stainless. I plan to cut the bottoms off and weld flanges to those ends so they'll bolt or clamp together - the volume works out at 33litres. I'll make a ring up as well so I can increase the volume. I'll cut off one end so I can weld in the cone and I got some flanges, tri-clamps and a 2" butterfly valve off eBay from china. They're so cheap it's not worth making them. As for the cap and legs, I'll fab them up as I need them. If you like I'll keep you posted as to how it goes? Thanks again. ATB,

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_348.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_348.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 120
yeah im looking into going stainless on fermentor and saw those whilst brousing ebay.

please keep me posted on your progress. i dont have a welder but

Yeah, I think they got splashed with something acidic at some point, it's only surface rust though. My stainless mash tun has some acid erosion too because the previous owner didn't passivate it. I read somewhere that you need to do it with freshly welded or worked stainless and that it doesn't hurt to re-do it occasionally, can't remember which acid you use though

You understand what Trialben says? Welcome! I need a translator! ;)

Back