First Dubbel

No Candi Syrup?

Anyway, I've tried Danstar Abbaye in 2 brews this year and I must say, it's even worse than T-58 from Fermentis. I will try it again in 2 more brews, but I'm kinda afraid at this point.

If you want a Belgian Dubbel, I suggest looking through the recipes from Candi Syrup.

I would not brew a Dubbel without a proper yeast, like the Westmalle or Chimay strain and some real candy syrup.

No Candi Syrup?

Anyway, I've tried Danstar Abbaye in 2 brews this year and I must say, it's even worse than T-58 from Fermentis. I will try it again in 2 more brews, but I'm kinda afraid at this point.

If you want a Belgian Dubbel, I suggest looking through the recipes from Candi Syrup.

I would not brew a Dubbel without a proper yeast, like the Westmalle or Chimay strain and some real candy syrup.
Look for the recipes on the Candi Syrup site.... Then use cane sugar. Much easier on the wallet and same outcome. Unless it's dark candi syrup, then make your own. It's stupid easy and again, much easier on the wallet.

I think nosybear has a cane sugar farm!!

That's a cool website, thanks for the link. They have recipes for stouts, porters also, and I brew those without the syrup, so what is it about the syrup that it lends to Belgian styles, specifically, that we can't do without it?

They way they develop maillards at lower temperatures and high pH adds a lot of flavor complexity that won't come from plain or caramelized sugar

How about adding Amber Candi as a late addition? I edited the recipe to include it, not sure if adding to the boil "late" is a sound idea or not.

Amber Candi Syrup is nice and you can easily add it in the last 15 minutes of boil. Amber Candi Syrup is a bit more toffee and caramel tasting, so balance that with some bitterness and a bit of toastiness/roastiness.

Cheers!

Amber Candi Syrup is nice and you can easily add it in the last 15 minutes of boil. Amber Candi Syrup is a bit more toffee and caramel tasting, so balance that with some bitterness and a bit of toastiness/roastiness.

Cheers!
Cool thanks for the reply

Back