Germany 2019 Oktoberfest!

The Brew Mentor

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
The title says it all.
I'm starting to plan for the trip now and welcome any suggestions for things to do and see.
We'll likely be there for a couple weeks.
Thanks,
Brian

Noice. I don't have any useful suggestions.

It goes: Ein Prosit, ein Prosit, Gemutlichkeit.... Zum Wohl, my friend, and enjoy.

The title says it all.
I'm starting to plan for the trip now and welcome any suggestions for things to do and see.
We'll likely be there for a couple weeks.
Thanks,
Brian

Munich? Or stuttgart?

Munich has ALOT of visitors from all over the world, Stuttgart is kind of a little hidden gem, it's called volksfest, it's the 2nd largest beer fest in the world, and well worth the trip, it begins 1 week later than Munich and ends 1 week later. Just food for thought, also Stuttgart is only an hour or two drive from the black forest.

Munich for opening ceremonies, Bamberg for a couple days. Mulheim on the Rhine for a couple days, seeing Cologne and Dusseldorf. Maybe a day or 2 in the Moselle Valley.
Thinking a couple days in Belgium for some Chocolate and Beer tours.
I'll look into Stuttgart.
Keep the suggestions coming!

Munich for opening ceremonies, Bamberg for a couple days. Mulheim on the Rhine for a couple days, seeing Cologne and Dusseldorf. Maybe a day or 2 in the Moselle Valley.
Thinking a couple days in Belgium for some Chocolate and Beer tours.
I'll look into Stuttgart.
Keep the suggestions coming!
Oh, Mosella, du hast doch so viel Wein.... Recommended: Bernkastel-Kues and Trier. Drink a bottle of Bernkasteler Doktor, drink a beer at Kloster Machern.... I'd definitely recommend a trip to the Mosel!

Oh, Mosella, du hast doch so viel Wein.... Recommended: Bernkastel-Kues and Trier. Drink a bottle of Bernkasteler Doktor, drink a beer at Kloster Machern.... I'd definitely recommend a trip to the Mosel!
Come on Nosy, I now have to translate everything!
Haha
Cheers

Come on Nosy, I now have to translate everything!
Haha
Cheers
Public service provided so that when they start singing, you know what they're singing! I'm a bit envious, you know.... Find a wine fest on the Mosel - there's one going on about every weekend when the weather's good - and raise a glass eastward!

I heard Bamberg is the best, so I definitely want to spend some time there.
I really want to get a feel for the culture, so I'm looking for Hostels or B&B's
Thoughts?
Brian

Look for vacation apartments - "Ferienwohnungen" - or the like, or hotels with "halbpension", meaning breakfast is provided. Stay in the town center, that's where everything interesting is. Avoid middays in places like Bernkastel, that's when the tourists are out in force. Kind of like skiing Colorado: Get there early, do your thing, take a long, leisurely lunch, then head back out once the Texans in their shorts and Stetsons are dying of heatstroke. And if you can pick up some German between now and then, it will really contribute to your experience - they react a lot better to Americans speaking German than they do to Americans demanding they speak English. It doesn't have to be much! Once they know you've made the effort, they'll likely be wanting to improve their English. Once I could put a few sentences together, the hardest thing for me was finding someone who didn't want to improve their English.

Look for vacation apartments - "Ferienwohnungen" - or the like, or hotels with "halbpension", meaning breakfast is provided. Stay in the town center, that's where everything interesting is. Avoid middays in places like Bernkastel, that's when the tourists are out in force. Kind of like skiing Colorado: Get there early, do your thing, take a long, leisurely lunch, then head back out once the Texans in their shorts and Stetsons are dying of heatstroke. And if you can pick up some German between now and then, it will really contribute to your experience - they react a lot better to Americans speaking German than they do to Americans demanding they speak English. It doesn't have to be much! Once they know you've made the effort, they'll likely be wanting to improve their English. Once I could put a few sentences together, the hardest thing for me was finding someone who didn't want to improve their English.

I can vouch for that, if you make an effort to learn some basic vocabulary the locals are much friendlier and helpful. That is the key to making your experience considerably better than just the typical vacationers experience. I was invited and welcomed to many meals and functions when I was stationed in Germany due to speaking alittle bit of the language.

Off topic I know, but this thread reminded me of my first May Day in small town germany a loong time ago.
The beginning of fest season in Bavaria. Can't think of a better way to spend the first than watching the bands and the raising/decorating of the May pole. And along with the first offering of Festbier for the year, it was always a great holiday from work. The tiny town I lived in (Wilhermsdorf) had great fest bier, even though I didn't care for their year round beer.
Other than 11-11 , May Day was my favorite german holiday.
I know you're going to the end of fest season my only recommend would be hitting the small town fest along the way if you can, the small town fest biers rival anything you'll get in Munich.

We'll the trip finally got here. We leave on Saturday!
Lots of planning to say the least.
Landing in Frankfurt, spending 3 days in Mosel Valley, then to Bamberg and visiting Schlenkerla brewery, castle tours for a day and then into Munich. Glockenspiel dinner and tour and festivities! In line for Oktoberfest at 5am Saturday morning and hopefully getting into the main tent for the Mayor's keg tapping and kickoff! Evening dinner and city festivities on Sat night, then reservations for the Hofbrauhaus tent on Sunday! Repeat evening!
Train to Vienna on Monday and spending 2 days there.
Train to Prague and 3 days there with a day trip to Pilsen.
Leaving from Prague.
2 weeks total, should be a whirlwind!
Cheers,
Brian

Back