Thought I'd Share some Serious Geekery

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is what the fermentation of my Oktoberfest Maerzen looks like.
upload_2018-4-10_20-30-35.png

I track my fermentations using a refractometer and a correction spreadsheet. Bonus goodness, I get this shiny graph of where the fermentation is so I can decide when to start letting the temperature rising. Oh, there are two day 7's because I missed the evening read on the 6th and took it on the morning of the 7th day.

I can share the spreadsheet if anyone wants it.

@Oz dobt you have some live fermentation feed thingy?

looks the goods nosey bet you dont do that every beer?:p

@Oz dobt you have some live fermentation feed thingy?

looks the goods nosey bet you dont do that every beer?:p
Uh, I do. Really. Unless I forget, then I don't do it. I've seen the "tracker" thing, great for showing the variance in the meter - like looks just like mine, just a lot more jagged, more information than I need. My little spreadsheet tells me when to start ramping up temperature toward a diacetyl rest and when I'm "done", besides, it gives me a chance to taste my beer samples and learn. That curve I got, I'll take another reading this evening and if it doesn't change, I know the beer is done, then it's time to get it in the lagering fridge for the summer.

I generally use ported fermentors - using the spigot. That means I have to clean and sanitize the spigot when I rack or bottle but I'll trade. The forced fermentation tests I'm doing should tell me if using the spigot is creating problems.

Ah, taste testing, the real reason for daily research. :D I like it.
Can't get that with the monitoring gadgets.... Besides, I can spend the $100 or so I could spend on the gadgets on something that has a far greater impact on my beer's quality....

This would be a good guide on knowing when to spund.

A couple drops of filtered beer (to get the trub out) on the refractometer stage, enter the date and the result in my spreadsheet and voile! Nice fermentation curve.
How are you filtering the sample?

Old school, a funnel and a piece of paper towel. No need for much else....

Am I the only one who caught NB takes samples with a refractometer? My understanding is they don't provide accurate readings once alcohol has been produced and is part of the sample. I discovered this when trying to use it post fermentation and couldn't understand the readings. Pretty cool experiment though Nosy!

Back