Ready to BIAB?

Brewline

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have so far completed a couple extract kits successfully and dove right into kegging after bottling my first batch ( that sucked). I am now looking at branching away from extract kits purely to get more variety. Considering I spent a considerable amount of money in a short time, the wife wouldn't be pleased if I went out and added a mash tun.. therefore BIAB seems to be my option.

I have a 8 gallon pot and a 5 gal pot. Will the 8gal be enough for BIAB beers? Obviously nothing like double IPA.

Any other tips and or recipes welcome! Looking at starting with a SMaSH.

I had used a 5 gallon pot for a while doing BIAB. I was limited to about 11 lbs of grain max, and I could either make a smaller batch or had to top it off with water.
I've got a 10 gallon kettle now, so no problems at all.
You'll have to do a little trial and error to see what you can fit into your bigger pot, but you should be good for most styles and recipes

Extract to BIAB is a great way to get into all grain with existing equipment. I skipped extract and went straight to BIAB and still doing BIAB.

Don't know about high gravity beers, but I use an 8 gal pot for my BIAB with up to 11# of grain. It is close to top with 6 gal water to start but after taking bag out and dunk sparging in another 1.5 gal water i usually end up with 6.5 gal to boil which leaves plenty of room for hot break in 8 gal pot. 5 gal pot works great for heating strike/infusion water, or heating decoction.

I use a 15 gallon pot for BIAB so can't answer your question directly about capacity of a 5-8 gallon pot. However, if you do want a bigger pot someday, I wanted to point out that affordable large pots in the size of 10+ gallons can be had for significantly less if you buy aluminum. I recognize that it's not the Golden Standard but it has all the properties of a good pot (easily cleaned, light weight, cheap) and few concerns (those raised over health issues and Alzheimer's were not proven). I think I got mine for about $50. Just food for thought down the line when you do decide to buy a larger pot but don't want to upset the better half. (I can relate!)

Seconded regarding aluminium pots. I've only ever used a 40lt alu pot, no ill effects so far!

but it has all the properties of a good pot (easily cleaned, light weight, cheap) and few concerns (those raised over health issues and Alzheimer's were not proven). I think I got mine for about $50. Just food for thought down the line when you do decide to buy a larger pot but don't want to upset the better half. (I can relate!)

Clam / tortilla steamers at local box store are a cheap option also. I got 10 gal, with false bottom, for $28 a few months back

Back