Dry hopping help needed

Weardend

Trial Member
Reaction score
Considering dry hopping next time i brew. Just concerned about adding after fermentation is complete and therefore losing the Co 2 when i open the bin. Any ideas /thoughts

add your dry hops before the activity is done meaning the bubbles are still going and you'll be fine

There will be some co2 trapped in the beer which will come out when you add the dry hops, and refill the headspace. as long as you are not leaving it open for a ridiculous amount of time you should be fine.

Just to be clear - if you're worried about losing the C02 cap upon opening your fermentor, I believe some more will be generated when you start the dry hop process. At least that's what I understand from responses to my posting a week or so ago (search for "dry hopping" and "barleywine" tags) in the general brewing discussion area. The title is "New to dry hopping". Sorry, I couldn't figure our how to link it here. But I am adding a picture of what mine did. Good luck!

Attachments

• 20180325_204002_snagit.jpg
    20180325_204002_snagit.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 83
I can't claim to know the science, but you can just dump them in 3-4 days before bottling with no issues. I simply drop them in commando, great for getting the taste and aroma but a bit messy. I use a tea strainer when racking to my bottling bucket and it seems to take care of most of the floaties.:)

I can't claim to know the science, but you can just dump them in 3-4 days before bottling with no issues. I simply drop them in commando, great for getting the taste and aroma but a bit messy. I use a tea strainer when racking to my bottling bucket and it seems to take care of most of the floaties.:)
Hops are antibacterial, one of the reasons they're the perfect herb for beer! And fermented beer is not a hospitable place for most microorganisms, a few can survive (acetobacter) but need oxygen. Oxygen, by the way, is the greatest danger in dry hopping, particularly if you use whole hops, lots of air space in those. While you can just dump them in, I prefer to put my dry hops in a disposable, sanitized (dunked in sanitizer) muslin bag with a weight (a sanitized, stainless steel weight), stuff them in the neck of the carboy, then rack the beer off 3-4 days later.

I hear you Nosybear, my last commando dumping cost me a very healthy yeast cake. I always use pellets so oxidation risk is lower.
Bag or commando seems a dilemma. Commando seems to be more effective due to increased surface area, but bagged seems to lend to better clarity and better looking beer.
Prime case for a split batch (secondary) ex-beer-iment.

Hops are antibacterial, one of the reasons they're the perfect herb for beer! And fermented beer is not a hospitable place for most microorganisms, a few can survive (acetobacter) but need oxygen. Oxygen, by the way, is the greatest danger in dry hopping, particularly if you use whole hops, lots of air space in those. While you can just dump them in, I prefer to put my dry hops in a disposable, sanitized (dunked in sanitizer) muslin bag with a weight (a sanitized, stainless steel weight), stuff them in the neck of the carboy, then rack the beer off 3-4 days later.
A glass marble or two works just as well if you can't find a stainless steel weight.

A glass marble or two works just as well if you can't find a stainless steel weight.
Better - the glass is smoother (better sanitation) and it doesn't discolor.

so far so good here with the dump and run dry hop method i dry hopped my latest IPA yesterday like this and im pretty sure shell be right mate;).

i use the fine mesh cloth same as biab material tied around end of transfer hose and biiled for 10 then phosphoric soak to catch them stray particals never usually much.

good luck and enjoy those hops!

Back